Chapter 7

"Where are we going?" Kanan asked, following Athena.

"To get some new clothes, you'll die in that sweater of yours in this heat."

Athena was right, Kanan was sweating to death in his long sleeve sweater. It was the dry, arid air that was mostly killing him. He would've said something earlier, but they had more important matters at hand.

"I think we should save up for water and a car," Kanan suggested.

"We aren't spending much, we're going to Goodwill. Two shirts can be bought for a little over a dollar," Athena assured.

"Where is this Goodwill?"

"Up around the corner here, we'll get you and me a bag, some clothes, and then get a car."

"You sure have a plan," Kanan commented.

"It can change along the way."

Kanan smirked a little. That is something he would say to the crew. He couldn't believe how much she had in common with him. It was as if they had grown up together and learned the same things on how to survive and have an attitude.

They walked into a building, and immediately the two were cooled off by the air conditioning. Their relief must've been noticeable.

"You aren't from here are you?" a woman asked from behind the desk. She wore a navy blue shirt with a name tag on it with her red hair parting just so it could be seen.

"No, we're from Michigan," Athena lied.

"I hear it gets cold up there."

"Yep, sure does," Kanan said and he pushed Athena quickly a way to avoid losing too much time.

Athena soon lead him to where some shirts were.

"Here, I found you a shirt," Athena said, holding up a blue shirt. It was simple, just a T-shirt with all blue on it.

Kanan held the shirt, "Yeah, that's good. Here, I found you one," Kanan told, handing Athena a green and blue shirt.

Athena wasn't too much into fashion, she wasn't a fan of it. If you gave her a choice between a boy's shirt and a girl's shirt, she would never know the difference. The shirt Kanan held was plaid with both of the colors nicely done together and it had short sleeves.

Athena took it out of his hand and looked at the price tag, "Okay, so your shirt is 53 cents and this one is 53 cents, so we have to pay $1.06 for shirts. We better get some shorts and a bookbag."

"I'll go look for a bag," Kanan said, walking away.

"I'll go look for some pants. I'll try to get your size," Athena told walking in another direction.

The two looked for a while until each had found what they wanted. Athena found some jeans for Kanan and some for herself. Kanan found a black bookbag and found Athena near the books. Athena was looking at all of the books until she heard Kanan behind her.

"You ready? I found a book bag," Kanan asked.

"Yep, just passin' the time with some books. I found some jeans,"

"Good, let's go," Kanan said walking to the desk, Athena followed.

They placed the stuff in front of the lady that had greeted them and she rung up the total cost.

"That'll be $6.25."

"Can I have the money, bro?" Athena said to Kanan.

Kanan slightly sighed and handed her the wad of money, and Athena placed 7 ones on the counter. The cashier put it in the register and handed the change back.