34. To Make Amends

Start from the beginning

When we made it to a floor which consisted mainly of offices, it didn't take us long to find one with an inscribed placate on the door reading ~A.D. Pelletier, Healer~ in a golden, fancy font.

"A.D?" Henry said, obviously amused "As in, Anno Domini?"

I smiled softly. Leave it to Henry to make some joke in Latin.

"Actually, it stands for Arinius Diogenes, although this is the first time I've heard my I initials in reference to year-keeping" a voice sounded from behind us.

Looking back I found myself looking at a man in his late fifties, wearing a white robe and holding a steaming mug of what appeared to be tea in one hand. He had a well-trimmed beard in different shades if Grey and silver, and shoulder-length hair in the same tones. Sharp features balanced out by an hawk-nose and piercing gray-green eyes watched us curiously.

"You must be Miss Beauchanan, and Dr. Morgan, I presume?" the Healer waited for our nod of agreement before continuing "I was expecting you. Albus is a good acquaintance of mine, and I'll be more than happy to assist"

And without waiting for an answer he headed into his office, gesturing for the two of us to follow him inside.

We did so, and as Arinius indicated that we should take a seat in the two chairs opposite his desk I looked at him curiously.

"Has Albus briefed you on the situation?" I asked him quietly, feeling my nerves acting up but refusing to show them. I'd had almost two centuries to perfect my poker face, and had grown used to not really giving anything away when having certain discussions or conversations.

"Not really. Just that there was a young woman-you, I'm presuming- that needed a consult on a medical matter" the Healer said with a shrug.

"Indeed" I agreed with a small mod of my head. I then proceeded to explain my predicament to the man. The story took a few minutes, with Henry interrupting here and there to give his opinion or state some facts in medical jargon even I had a hard time understanding but which the Healer seemed to comprehend easily enough.

After I finished recalling my story, the Healer sat back and pressed his hands together, obviously deep in thought. I'd tried to give him a picture as clear as possible about my magical heritage as well as the circumstances of my birth.

"Well, I must say this is uncharted territory, even for me. I've never heard of a case such as yours, and I'm not entirely certain as to how much I can be of service to you. I'll do my best, of course, and there's a few things we can try...." he said pensatively, nodding to himself as he sorted his thoughts.

"Like what?" Henry inquired curiously, before I even had a chance to open my mouth.

"We'll start with a physical examination, and then I'll consult with a colleague of mine who specializes in herbology.... He'll give you a few tonics and potions to keep up your health and immune system. I'll see if maybe there's some spells or enchantments that may be of use, either now to keep you healthy and in shape to carry the child to term or to facilitate things when you go in labor" Arinius seemed very certain if his words, and somehow it made me relax a little. Besides Enobaria's help in preventing my miscarriage and Henry's promise to help me, I'd had hardly any reassurance at all that I'd even be able to carry the baby to term.

I'd been afraid to admit it, even to myself, but I was scared beyond belief about my pregnancy. Not knowing if the baby would be okay, or if I'd be physically able to carry the child to term, was nerve-wracking to say the least. No reassurance that I'd survive this. No guarantee that the baby would be all right. Henry's examination and-what was the muggle word?-ecosonograph had given me at least some peace of mind, and the tonics I'd been making for myself helped ease the fear a little.