Possibilites

One Month Later...

Jace woke up from a loud noise. It was thunder. A storm was raging outside. Lightning lit up the room, and the thunder roared again.

Loren didn't even stir next to him. She was probably very tired.

Jace got up slowly and left the room. He went to the kitchen and got an apple. The light was very dim, but he felt someone's presence: He wasn't alone.

"Who's there?"

"Scarlett," said the faint silhouette of a girl.

"How did you get in here?"

Scarlett scoffed. "I'm a Shadowhunter, stupid. I can get into the Institute if I want to."

"Okay, then why are you here?"

"For my sister," she said. "I have a message for her."

"So you come in the dead of night? Why?"

"It's a secret."

Jace chuckled.

"Would you deliver it?"

He shrugged. "Sure."

"... Tell Loren the date's set. Tell her the time is my birthday, okay?"

"What date's set?"

"You'll know soon enough. Goodbye Jace." Scarlett's silhouette left the room.
..............................
"... What did she say?" Clary couldn't believe her ears.

"She said 'the date is set, tell her the time is my birthday.' What did she mean?" asked Jace.

Clary couldn't control the grin that stretched across her face. "YES!" She jumped at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. She laughed with happiness. Scarlett's twentieth birthday was tomorrow. Scarlett had told Clary she couldn't know the date till the day before, and she got to tell him tomorrow.

"Whoa," Jace chuckled. "Am I going to find out what this is about?"

Clary shook her head. "Not yet."

"Are you throwing your sister a surprise party or something?"

"Oh!" Clary pulled away. "I should do that." She pulled out her phone and texted Grace and Piper. "That's a good idea."

"If that wasn't it, then what was it?"

Clary smiled broadly and shook her head. "I'll tell you later." She really could tell him later.Tomorrow. Tonight even, maybe after midnight. She'd have to ask Allison.

"Is everything okay?" asked Isabelle, walking into the library. "I heard you yelling from down the hall. You know you're supposed to be quiet in libraries, right?"

Clary laughed and grinned madly. "Everything's perfect. Absolutely perfect."
........................
Scarlett watched Piper intently staring at her laptop screen. "More Johnny Depp?" she teased.

"Nope." Piper had never taken much offense from teasing- though she was an easy target. That was one of the many things Scarlett loved about her. "Kevin Jonas."

Scarlett wrinkled her nose. "What? Ew."

"You have your type, I have mine." She smirked.

"Isn't he married?"

Piper glanced at her. "Since when is marriage a boundary in your eyes?"

Scarlett locked her jaw. "I really regret telling you that, Piper. Besides, I would never act on it. Ever. I couldn't do that to anyone, and especially not to him."