Chapter 14

Nick

Demi was holding my hand as we stood behind a wall, ready to take the stage. It was minutes before our last show on our tour & I think we were both a little sad to see it end. Every night was either sold out or close to it. Our shows were all general admission in smaller venues, like House of Blues. Every night had been amazing. Everyday being, with Demi, on a bus was incredible. We stopped at various tourist attractions along the way & enjoyed our days off, together. We crossed off 'write love letters to each other' from the bucket list, because we exchanged letters nearly everyday of the tour. It was actually a book, much like a diary, that we wrote love letters to each other, leaving the book for the other to find it & then we would respond with another love note. It was sweet & sometimes a little dirty, since getting mushy all the time, could get boring. 

The show we put on every night was an acoustic & piano set. We went through all of our songs on our album & picked our absolute favorites & the ones that said the most. The ones that didn't get picked, sometimes we would do a medley of them on stage. We also did some cover songs. We did our mashup of 'Who I Am' & 'Never Been Hurt' to open the show every night. We also mixed it up nightly, doing our own songs. We would also sometimes add 'On the Line,' 'Don't Forget' or 'Stop the World.' We tried to mix it up as much as we could & we also made the show interactive. We would have fans tweet us questions the day of the show & then on stage that night, we'd answer some of the best ones or the ones that were asked most often.  

I looked at Demi now, with my guitar slung over my shoulder, giving her hand a tight squeeze. Her gaze turned to my face & her smile got even bigger. "Are we ready to do this one last time?" I asked her, loudly. 

Her hand reached up to softly touch my cheek & her lips brushed mine. "I could do this forever." The start of 'Never Been Hurt' starts playing & the crowd goes wild. I let go of Demi's hand as she prepares to head on stage, microphone in hand. Our mashup is the only song that isn't acoustic. We did a studio version of it with an entire band & we play that over the sound system & Demi & I would sing along. We had to rehearse that one a while. Mashups are hard, especially if you are very familiar with both songs.  

I watched Demi walk on stage, slowly, as the curtain came up. Before she was even in the audience's sights, she sang, "I felt picture perfect, on & off the shelf to a broken frame of mind." The crowd went insane when they saw her & my heart swelled, watching her rock out seconds later, singing, "My heart's on the front line, I'm not afraid." She paused & looked at me as I came on stage. 

"I want someone to love me, for who I am." I sang as I walked toward her, strumming my guitar. Demi's sexy smile warmed my heart & a few other places. This was the same every night. I absolutely loved opening the show, like this, with her. It was as if it were only her & I in the room. "I want someone to need me, is that so bad? I wanna break all the madness, but it's all I have. I want someone to love me, for who I am." I paused & Demi & I both looked at the audience who were screaming at the top of their lungs.