Chapter 10

Nick

Almost a month after we got back together, Demi & I were hanging out at her apartment one evening. We hadn't spent a whole lot of time apart, since getting back together. We spent every night together, either at her place or mine. We were busy during the days, her working on promos for her new album & me working on our album with Paul & Phil. It was Thursday evening & the following week was my birthday. I didn't have birthday plans yet, but my brothers were on me about it. Birthdays were a big deal in my family. We always did something, even if it was just dinner with the family. As we got older, my parents didn't celebrate with us every year, but they called or we did something the next time they saw us.  

It was after 9 & Demi & I had been watching CSI & touching each other, while making out, when there was a knock on Demi's door. She went to answer it & came back with Marissa. Demi returned to her spot on the couch next to me & Marissa sat across from her on a chair, staring at us. 

"I'm stealing you Saturday night." Marissa said, looking at Demi. 

Demi laughed. "Um okay. For what?" 

"Friends night." Marissa smiled then looked at me. "NO boyfriends." she said, sharply.  

Demi looked at me with her forehead wrinkled. She reached for my hand. "Why can't Nick come?" She turned back to Marissa. 

Marissa sighed, leaning back in the chair. "I was talking to Joe today." 

"My brother?" I asked, surprised. 

Marissa nodded. "He is taking you out for your birthday Saturday night." 

"Since when are you & Joe so chummy?" Demi asked. 

"We have gotten close since your joint birthday party. I talk to Blanda all the time, too." 

Demi frowned. "Hmm. Well, I want to go with them, Saturday." 

Marissa shook her head, sticking her lower lip out. "It's a guy thing. You can't go." 

Demi chuckled, nervously. "Why can't I go? Is he taking him to see strippers or something?" 

Marissa looked up at the ceiling, biting her lip. "I think so." 

Demi crossed her arms & sat back on the couch in a huff. I laughed at her. "Joe hasn't said anything to me." I put my arm around her & rubbed her shoulder, gently. 

"Joe & I think you have been spending too much time together & need some time apart." Marissa said in a cautious voice, squinting her eyes a little. 

Demi smacked her thighs. "What? We don't need time apart. We spend enough time apart. That is ridiculous." 

Marissa shrugged. "Joe's idea. He said to keep you occupied Saturday night. You won't be spending the night together." 

Demi looked at me, her eyes sad. "Is this okay with you?" 

I shrugged. "It's one night, baby." 

"It's strippers." Demi whined. 

I smiled as I leaned in & kissed her cheek. "And we're not allowed to touch." 

Her head snapped to look at me. "And if you were...." Her face twisted into a look of disgust. 

"Nothing to worry about. I only have eyes for you." I kissed her pouting mouth. 

Marissa clapped. "Now we have to plan something fun for us to do. We're inviting Matthew & Michael & Steph & Chelle & anyone else who wants to come."