CHAPTER 2: New, Invisible Place

Updated! The newest version below. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 2: New, Invisible Place

-Pasta to Go, Please.-

"What do you see?" Cassie closed the front door and reached out, taking her mother's arm in hand.

With a staggered voice Kaddie replied, "Darling... I see the work of an artist." The two stood silent for a moment, in awe.

"He must have put his heart into it." Cassie smiled.

They arrived at the new home, and Kaddie was about to show Cassie around in detail. Mikel was the only person who'd seen the house before. He negotiated everything with the Realtor, bought, and decorated the place. Boastful, he returned home from each visit bragging about his decor skills. 

Kaddie lead Cassie around to get a feel of the place. This home was a huge upgrade from the last. Instead of the cabin like wood, this was mostly a brick home. With a brick exterior and foundation that continued up to the first level. The second floor, a lovely colored paneling. There were no more rickety stairs in front of their home. A porch even. The stairs leading to a porch, and a double door (the first glass, and the second a detailed wood).

So things were already looking up. With each room they entered, Cassie's earlier anxiety and anticipation was relieved. This was more than moving into a new home. More like she'd faced a fear, and finally able to go on with life. One step that'd be important for finishing the race. 

Soon she’d be able to prove she could handle her own, and express that true independent personality she had inside. This would've been harder to accomplish in that old town. The habit of her parents being their for her was tied to closely there. A change of scenery wouldn't change everything, but distance allowed the tight tie, of nurturing strings, space to be broken.

“And with that, our tour is complete. Last stop, your room.” With her voice and hand, Kaddie lead Cassie to the center of her new room.

“Ah, finally!” Cassie held her white, guiding cane in hand. After a few glides across the floor she found the location of her bed. 

Cassie's arms spread like an airplane. She let her weight go, and backwards she fell. Crashing into the bed,  bouncing a little, and collapsing into the soft fabric, again. She was a daring girl. She rolled over onto her tummy and inhaled a huge amount of freshness. Blissful, she kicked her legs back and forward. 

“Gosh this feels great!” she shouted.

Kaddie joined the comfort and sat beside her. “It’s a brand new bed, so I’m glad you like it.”

Cassie pulled a pillow under her chest, and laid her head to the side. Facing her mother now, she responded, “Love it!”

"Honey, I'm home!" A distance voice sounded up the stairs, where the girls were, grabbing their attention.  Mikel entered the home from downstairs, where the front door was, and continued into the kitchen. He brought home pasta for dinner. Both the girls smiled. Kaddie's stomach even growling. She wasn't as hungry as she sounded, but it made for a quick laugh.

They all gathered in the kitchen and fixed their own plates. Soon enough, they were sitting around the table, beginning to eat and socialize.

After sticking some pasta in his mouth, Mikel asked the two, "So, did you two find everything to your liking?”

Cassie nodded since her mouth was too full to speak. Kaddie decided to answer, “Of course we did. You really out did yourself Mikel.”

Swallowing now, Cassie replied. “I love the new house. Mom bragged and told me every detail, that I feel as though I’ve seen it myself. I appreciate your effort dad. You’ve started off my list of changes with a great experience. Both of you.”