CHAPTER 1: This Will All Change

Hey! About a month ago I posted a notice stating I'd be revising this story. I'd been in writer's block for what seemed like forever, and some of you were curious to if I'd be finishing this story.

The answer is Definitely! I've grown attached to this little idea, so I'm working on it! :D

The story was formerly written in first person point of view, but I'm changing it to Third Person Limited! Chapter 1 is officially updated! So, enjoy!  & Hello to my new readers. Thanks for checking this out! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

CHAPTER 1: This Will All Change

A single tear ran down her cheek. So subtle that it never fell, but instead sat gently to the side of her nose. Cassie was standing in the doorway facing forward along the porch. Thinking to herself, "They're not going to make it if they don't hurry." 

Cassie's father, Mikel, was arriving home with the moving trailer. It was now time. The Carson family would be on the road for hours, headed to a brand new town, and it seemed they'd leave before Cassie had the chance to tell her friends good-bye. She wiped away the tear and squatted to pick up her two suitcases. Swallowing away the rest of what she refused to shed-- this wasn't a time for tears. 

"It's now or never pumpkin!" Kaddie, Cassie's mother, exited the house, and approached her from behind. "I'd hate to rush out of town before you’ve gotten a chance to say bye to your friends, but you know your father and I wish to beat the traffic.” 

“I understand.” Cassie sighed, slightly turning toward her mother's voice. “I wouldn’t want us waiting in traffic because of me.” Down three rickety stairs they went. Stairs that would soon be of their old home. 

They continued along the dirt path to the car. This was a rural area they were living in. Why are they late any who!? Cassie's question lingered along with her every step. An upset look now on her face. Disregarding the question, she passed her luggage to her father and stepped away. 

Cassie had walked mid-way to the edge of the hill, which lead into their driveway, and stood, glaring toward the horizon in hopes to hear her friends wandering up the other side. Disappointed, she thought, "Perhaps they got the day I said I'd be leaving mixed up."

Cassie headed back to the porch and sat. Her mother and father were heading in and out of the house gathering the last of boxes. Her father carried a box underarm, this was at least his fifth trip to the car, but this time he paused. 

"Chin up champ." he stopped aside Cassie, brushing her chin upward. "They've still got some time to make it before we're finished loading." 

Cassie gave a sad smirk and dropped her head into her hands. Palms holding her cheeks, elbows pressed into her thighs, and looking quite gloomy. Loading the boxes went on for at least fifteen more minutes and still no sign of them. 

Alright honey, this is the last box." Kaddie spoke aloud to her husband while handing it over to him.

"Great." he replied. "Not much room for anything else." A slam sounded as the trailer's trunk shut.

It was time to hit the road. The seven hour drive could no longer be avoided. Cassie could hear her parents  getting in the car as their doors shut. Kaddie rolled down the window anyways, to be sure her daughter knew they were ready. So she gave a few shouts calling her name and yelling come on.

Without saying a word, Cassie carefully walked to the car. Her head down as she opened the backseat's door and slowly stepped inside. The thought of closing the door to the only home she'd known, suddenly hit her. An almost traumatizing realization. This was deeper than just leaving her friends behind. It was an ending of something, once again, and it bothered her to know this would be the second time she'd lose something she loved. This event couldn't compare to the other, no... but it ached to know this was another something she'd taken for granted.