chapter nine

The wedding was simple. Yusuf had told his mother that he didn't want his entire family there. Just his brothers, sister and her. He'd have invited his friends but he didn't want to answer all the questions. And, Durdanah had told her parents she didn't want an extravagant wedding either. She wanted a simple wedding with only her close family around. She would have said friends but she'd lost contact with them over the past four years.

Safia and Tasneem however had insisted on Durdanah dressing up like a bride as if it was her first time. Safia had wanted to remind Durdanah that this was a beginning - to forget the past and to live in the now.

Yusuf clad in a crisp plain white shalwar kameez with a black vest to top waited for Durdanah. She was getting ready and while he didn't care much, he was growing impatient. He'd been forced to stand outside the room for the past hour.

And he was worried about Hamsa too. She was in Burhaan and Fahim's care but he couldn't trust those idiotic brothers of his with his phone let alone the light of his life.

He promptly knocked on the locked door yet once again.

"Who is it?" Came Tasneem's muffled voice.

"Ma, I've been here for an hour! You said she'd be ready by now and I don't know where Burhaan and Fahim took Hamsa!" He demanded exasperatedly.

"Eager to meet your bride, eh? I didn't think you were this sly bhai." Yusra giggled from inside the room.

Yusuf just sighed as he paced back and forth in front of the room for another 15 minutes before the door finally opened.

Stunned.

That was the word that described Yusuf perfectly as his mother and Safia helped Durdanah out of the room. 

He couldn't shy his eyes away from her as he shamelessly gawked at Durdanah who was staring at her feet.

Stunned.

She looked up at him and smiled nervously and in that moment as Yusuf watched her long thick curly hair flow around her like a halo and her big eyes and mehndi adorned hands, he thought she was nothing short of beautiful.

"Uh bhai, I know she's like your wife now and all but uh your staring's kinda creepy. Also, your mouth's practically reaching the ground. I'd advise you to close it. Flies will get in." Yusra's voice broke the awkward silence.

" I wasn't staring and also I was just standing outside to ask about the food. Chacha Tariq was wondering about it." Yusuf improvised a lame excuse as he sheepishly ran a hand through his light brown hair.

Durdanah seemed tense. Her thoughts kept plaguing her. Yusuf, please don't destroy yourself.

She prayed he wouldn't lose sight of who he was and become a demon like Arham. She knew he was better than that but the fear had seeped in her bones and now it was too late to get rid of her fright.

"I'm sorry it took so long. Your cousin's very talented, Ma Sha Allah." She praised 17 year old Amina's makeup and hairdressing skills.

Yusuf nodded finding his eyes unable to look her directly in the eye, "Um, so I'm just going to go help out Chacha, now." 

Durdanah awkwardly nodded. "Thank you." 

"Nah, no worries." He had thought she was thanking him for helping her father out but she was thanking him for accepting her; broken, desolate, desperate her. She was thanking him for giving her the blessing of being a mother. She was thanking him for marrying her and easing her parents' worries. She was thanking him for being him. She was just thanking him for being Yusuf.

Their nikkah had been even simpler than their wedding. They had just signed the contract and had voiced their agreement to the marriage thrice at the local Masjid.

When the Imam had told the two they were now married, Durdanah couldn't believe it. It had all happened so fast she hadn't even had time to comprehend it before her mother and mother-in-law whisked her away for a makeover.

She recalled feeling overwhelmed and strange.

When she'd divorced Arham, she'd never expected she would get married again. She had divorced him promising herself that no other man would enter her life.

And she had never ever even entertained the possibility of marrying Yusuf. 

But, it looked life had other plans.

Yusuf made a quick excuse to leave as it felt so overwhelming. He was a married man, yet once again and it just kind of felt odd. He'd only ever imagined one woman in his life and that was Rania. Strangely enough, he felt like he was the one betraying her by marrying her supposed best friend. It seemed like the two hadn't talked in years now.

***

"I'll miss you." Hana hugged her elder sister tightly. "Take care of yourself. And Yusuf bhai, please take care of my sister." 

"Don't worry, love. I'll do just fine." Durdanah smiled at her sister, trying to disguise her absolute terror.

"Take care of yourself and Yusuf and Hamsa, okay? This time, make it work, my dear daughter." Safia hugged her daughter dearly as she sobbed.

"May Allah Bless you two and this union. May you two find happiness in each other." Tariq smiled at his daughter as he pulled her into an embrace, looking at ease for the first time in years. 

Yusuf watched her smile painfully at her family and felt somewhat remorseful. He hadn't even asked her once if she had actually wanted to marry him in the first place.

Yusuf hesitantly took hold of Durdanah's hand as his mother looked on. Tasneem had told him if he hadn't helped her into the car, he'd be in big trouble, so he had helped her when he felt his mother's piercing gaze after bidding farewell to his brothers, sister and Durdanah's family.

***

The car ride was beyond awkward. Burhaan had been the one to drive since Faisal and Aadil weren't able to as they had to tend to their families. He was the only free and was feeling extremely uncomfortable driving the two to their home.

Durdanah was sitting at the far end as she looked outside the window, looking deep in thought while Yusuf fiddled with his thumbs.

His mother had insisted to take care of Hamsa for the week as the two got to know each other much to Yusuf and Durdanah's dismay. Yusuf was happy being alone and Durdanah was more than content being left alone. 

"Um, would you guys mind if I err listened to some music? It's awfully quiet in here." Burhaan asked stiffly.

"Nah, not at all. Listen to your heart's desire." Yusuf joked, hoping to ease the tension.

🎶 I'd love to hold you close, tonight and always, 

I'd love to wake up next to you 🎶

Burhaan quickly changed the station, looking at the couple sheepishly.

🎶...turn the bed into an ocean.

We don't need nobody, I just need your body

  Nothin' but sheets in between us 🎶

 "Burhaan, what the hell, man?!" Yusuf complained. This was beyond embarrassing. Durdanah on the other hand was worrying about more pressing matters. How was she going to explain all of it to Yusuf? He'd regret marrying her the moment she decided to confide in him.

"Sorry, bro. Music these days. Astaghfirullah." Burhaan apologized, trying to hide the smile in his voice. This was beyond hilarious, but God knew he wasn't doing this on purpose.

Durdanah pursed her lips as she settled in the car. 

It was going to be a long long drive.