chapter five

dedicated to @socialrecluse for being so sweet. Ps. Her books are a must to read. Absolutely beautiful. She's brilliant. :)

"Yusuf, dear. I promise you won't regret this. Thank you for trusting me." Tasneem placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

Yusuf nodded. He hoped he wasn't doing the wrong thing. He prayed that he wasn't making a mistake. The girl. She was coming today with her parents to officially recognize the proposal. 

He smiled at Hamsa sleeping in his arms. She'd been tired after a long day with her cousins. After all, she did stay up all night crying, keeping her father up too. Both of them were tired, but unlike Hamsa, Yusuf had priorities and responsibilities and couldn't just sleep whenever he wanted to.

Tasneem had made sure all of her children and grandchildren weren't in the house to disturb the peace. Aadil, Fariha and their children were off at the zoo, Faisal, Jamila and their kids had gone to the mall, much to Faisal and the boys' dismay. Burhaan was in charge of taking care of the twins and the three had happily gone off to eat ice cream and munch on snacks with Yusuf's hard earned money, not that he hadn't had any to spare in the first place.

The two waited quietly, the silence clawing at them.

"Now, Durdanah, try to smile more, be cheerful and just..just try to be decent, okay?" Safia advised her daughter quietly at the door of who may be her potential husband.

Durdanah nodded, as she attempted to gulp down all of her anxiety and nervousness.

"Hush, Safia. Don't make her feel awkward and nervous. Durdanah, love. Just try your best and be you, okay?" Tariq smiled at his daughter, trying to reassure her to no avail as he silently prayed. Please, be you. The you I know and love. 

It had taken forever and lots of convincing on Safia and Durdanah's part to get him to come visit the UK and see this Tasneem auntie and her son.

After the last time, he'd just, he felt responsible. He felt responsible for his daughter's sadness, silence, and he felt culpable for destroying her dreams and faith. For ridding her of hope.

They say eyes are the doorway to one's heart. And, even now as he looked down at his daughter, his kind, sweet, obedient daughter, he could see her eyes lifeless and dark. They'd lost their lustre and spark.

What had that bastard done to her in those 3 years?

Durdanah had chosen to be silent about what had happened in her marriage, not wanting to open the healing wounds yet again. She knew her parents were weak-hearted and wouldn't be able to survive knowing how she'd escaped with her life. Her mother couldn't handle any forms of sadness or else she'd suffer a nervous breakdown. Safia had a weak heart. And her father, he would feel guilty and liable. He would become even more silent and lonely. Unlike what people thought, Tariq had a big heart and he was lonely. She didn't want him to become even more withdrawn.

Safia had decided that Durdanah's silence was an indicator of just an incompatible marriage and not more. Certainly, Arham wasn't all that bad.

Tariq however suspected something. He knew his Durdanah was strong. Even if she didn't like her husband, she would have gone through with the marriage if not for her parents, then just to prove a point. She always had had a will of iron. If she'd divorced in a matter of 3 years, something had happened. Something unforgivable. Safia had predicted long ago that she'd be divorced, however she thought for something trivial such as Durdanah's sharp tongue. She always put up a fight and had stood up for what she believed in, no matter the consequence. She had refused to be a slave for a man. That was not her duty as a wife.

And yet now, all of that spirit that had made her who she was, it was all gone. That spark in her eye. That permanent smile of hers. 

She wasn't the same woman he'd raised. This was just a shell of who Durdanah once was.

 He could tell something was amiss but had chosen not to pry. If she hadn't told anyone, then there was a good reason why. He trusted his daughter and her judgement.

Tariq took a deep breath, praying this time it won't be a mistake. He might have been apprehensive about Durdanah getting married again at first, but even he knew he'll be at rest upon seeing her happy with her own family. 

And, he rang the doorbell, a small action that just may have well changed Durdanah's life forever.

Tasneem smiled at Yusuf upon hearing the doorbell as she crossed her fingers. "Good luck, my man!" She high-fived him, bringing the slightest hint of a smile on his face. Over the years, Tasneem had gotten really close to her children and won their hearts with her cheerful and friendly disposition. She was more like a close friend than a guardian for her kids. Her smile was contagious and Yusuf couldn't help but feel a little more at ease.

Tasneem nudged Yusuf. "Give me Hamsa. I want you to open the door."

"Nah, Ma. Hamsa's going to wake up. I'll stay here, will you please open the door instead?" He shook his head.

"You're never going to change are you?" She sighed, a knowing smile playing on her lips as she ran over to open the door.

"Salam Alaikum!" Tasneem greeted happily. Today was going to be the day.

"Walaikum Salam, Tasneem." Safia hugged her in reply. "Salam Alaikum, Tariq bhai." She nodded. "Walaikum Salam." Tariq replied quietly.

She seemed nice enough. But then again, so was Arham's mother. A son doesn't have to be reminiscent of his mother, now does he?

"Salam Alaikum, Durdanah." Tasneem pulled the meek-looking girl into a hug, "I've been just dying to meet you." She grinned.

Durdanah looked up and smiled. She seemed nice. "Walaikum Salam, Auntie Tasneem." She murmured.

Tasneem felt happy looking at Durdanah. She didn't seem anything like Rania. A complete opposite. But then again, Rania had been a good woman. God Knows what came over her and made her do something as outrageous as leave a great husband like her Yusuf and a beautiful daughter like Hamsa.

Yusuf was listening to the greetings from outside. He was trying to spot the mysterious girl. Dur..Dura? Dunia? Dora? What was her name, again? It seemed familiar. There was a ring about it that seemed almost recognizable. Where had he heard that name?

"Durdanah, please, come in." He could hear his mother beckon her inside.

Durdanah walked into the house, feeling a little at unease. She sat down where her parents where sitting in front of the man   who she might end up being married to. Please not another Arham. Please.

But once her eyes met his wide ones, she couldn't bring herself look away.

Durdanah.

The bright brown eyes. The light hair. Him. There was no mistaking it. 

Yusuf eyed the girl who entered the room. She certainly looked a little different than she had before, but could it be? Could it really be her?

Her name was familiar. She looked familiar. Is it really who he thought it was?

Could it be?

***

Sorry for the late update, everyone. Also, I'd like to apologize for my short chapters. I just find them easier to write. Thank you for understanding. :)