21. Bathing in a Pool of Hope

I took a deep breath as the smell of coffee entered my nose

I took a deep breath as the smell of coffee entered my nose. My subtly swollen eyes looked around the large office as Mr. David's voice finally appeared.

He sat on his chair as he let out a sigh, his eyes eyes looking at ours intently. "Listen." He took a quick pause, our attention being given to him. "I saw what happened after the party." His voice sounded stressed out but it was obvious he was trying to stay calm.

He continued. "I wholeheartedly apologize about my son's unforgivable actions towards you Ms. Tesfaye." The palm of his hands conjoined together as if he was making a deal. "And Xavier, I gotta give it to you man!" He immediately let out the loudest laughter as he relaxed back towards his chair, making my eyes widen in shock.

I glanced at Xavier, his face remained emotionless as he gently laid his head on his knuckles.

He took a deep breath as he tried not to laugh, his finger wiping off an imaginary tear. "I mean, you know how much I gotta deal with that kid? Thank god he's only my stepson because my oh my, I would beat him myself." He moved his hands a lot as he talked. "If it weren't for his mom and her huge bonkers, I wouldn't even have to deal with him." He moved his chair closer to us as he spoke.

Is this a joke?

I was slowly getting impatient and wanted this to be over with. "I'm sorry, Mr. David, what is this about?" I tried my best to not sound rude.

"Yea of course." He coughed. "Well since I do still have to watch over Andrew, and his actions, I can't afford to let him go to jail." He shrugged, making a silence break out.

"W-what do you want us to do?" I spoke out, my voice dying down.

"Well, I've made up a deal." He breathed, blinking his eyes at us. "That will make sure you guys don't sue." What he just said made me wanna spill the hot cup of coffee on him right now.

"Wait." I raised a finger in the air, narrowing my eyes at him. "So, you're basically gonna bribe us with a deal, just so your rapist son doesn't end up in jail because your afraid his mom would leave you?" What I said made him slightly drop his mouth at me.

He then continued to nod his head at me in response. "Yea pretty much."

"That makes wanna sue more." I bit my lip, making him start to speak again.

"Look, look, I can only imagine how stressed you are right now, but how about you listen to my deal first?" He tilted his head at me as I crossed my arms, Xavier clenching his sharp jaw at him.

I threw him a look of 'go on' which made him immediately talk.

"Each of you will be getting 120,000 dollars." I immediately dropped my mouth as I heard the amount of money that came from his mouth.