15. The Truth Finally Emerges

This was it. The feeling of utter shock and stupidity as to how the hell I haven't figured it out a long time ago.

Steven was my brother, and that man was my dad. Which explains the man's change of mood once I said my name. I remained frozen still on the couch as my eyes were glued down at the turned off T.V.

So much things has hit me in every way possible today that I'm still surprised my mind is not shutting down.

My mom finally looked back at me. Her eyes slowly scanning over my face that probably had on so many facial expressions.

She finally broke the silence. "I'm sorry I haven't told you earlier." She took a quick pause to let out a sigh. "I figured that since they wouldn't be in our lives anymore, I didn't have to tell you." She sounded extremely sad.

I quickly caught my self and snapped out of my drift. "What do you mean you didn't have to tell me? Regardless if they weren't gonna be in my life anymore, I still need to know something about them? That's my brother and my dad!" I couldn't keep silent anymore, I had to let everything out. "I'm 18 attending college! And I didn't even know the name of my brother I shared a crib with!"

She sighed, her face showing extreme remorse. "Arielle, I understand why you're angry. Really, I do. But I'm showing it to you now. I feel really bad I didn't and I'm sorry." She spoke low. "You have no idea how much it hurt me to not see your brother. You just have no idea." Even though the living room was dull and barely lit, I could still see my mom's tears leaving her eyes.

"What I don't get is why we couldn't see them? There must be a reason?" I was still overtaken by shock, my hands shaking uncontrollably.

"Because of your dad." She took a deep breath as she wiped away tears from her reddened eyes. "He didn't want anything to do with us." She sighed, softly landing her hand on mine.

She looked at me with a broken smile, preparing to talk again. "But we're gonna fix this, do you hear me? I'm not gonna let your dad stop you from seeing your brother." I couldn't help but smile back, my mom was always the fighter type, I guess I can relate.

 Xavier was quick and alert around Rosalyn, making her talk as we entered the front door

"Stop worrying so much boy!" She gestured for him to get away. "I had a heart attack not a car crash." She spoke as she walked towards the couch. "I just need to lay down." She sighed as she sat herself on the couch.

"Do you want anything?" I queried politely. "Water? Tea?" She smiled at me.

"You're a guest! Let Xavier do the work!" She wave her hands towards me to sit. "Xavier can you be a so kind to get me some water?" She laughed quietly to herself, making me crack out a quiet laugh.

Xavier remained quiet as he walked himself into the kitchen. Rosalyn laying her hand on my knee. "Some boys will do whatever it takes to be lazy, so you can do all the work! Don't ever let a man tell you what to do other than pick what type of clothes you want." She warmly smiled.

"Will do." I slowly nodded, our conversation being cut off by Xavier walking back into the room with a glass of water. "Thank you." She reached her hand out at Xavier as she slowly took the glass away from him.

"You're welcome." Xavier replied as he sat himself on one of the chairs. "Did you want anything?" He faces towards me.

"I'm gonna go upstairs and go sleep." Rosalyn slowly got up using her cane. "It was lovely to see you hon." I quickly got up to hug her.

"N-no I'm fine." I blinked my eyes a few times as I desperately prayed for more sleep. "I actually should go right now, I kinda have some business to attend to." I let out politely as possible, getting up to say goodbye as I watched Rosalyn walk up the stairs.

Xavier's lips met mine as my face flushed. "Thank you." His deep voice spoke softly.

"For what?" I raised an eyebrow at him, his arms wrapped around me as mine was wrapped around his neck.

"Just being there for me." He continued to kiss me in between his words, making me laugh as I pushed his face away.

"You shouldn't thank me for that. That's what we're supposed to do for each other." I replied, breaking out of his arms to walk out the door.

"I love you." His grey eyes were shimmering like crazy as he looked at me.

"I love you too." I pursed my lips as I walked out the door, the sun starting to set.

"What did he say?" I bit my lip anxiously as I looked at my mom

"I called your dad, and he said he's not gonna tell Steven until he comes here tomorrow." My mom replied, slipping out her hair tie.

I remained quiet as I looked down at the table. I didn't know how to answer. I was genuinely scared to see Steven's reaction, and was also scared to meet my dad officially, since last time it was really messy.

My mom's voice was quickly interrupted by the door bell. "I'll go get it." She breathed, quickly getting up off her seat.

I sighed as I looked down at my phone.

The sound of the door opening was happening behind me as I glanced at the time.

7:33 the clock read.

"M-Mason?" My mom's voice let out behind me.

REMEMBER TO COMMENT AND VOTE! <3