Chapter: 14

Long time no see. I haven't visited this story in a while and I'm sorry for that. The truth is, I thought about this story a long time ago, and although there are many mistakes, I understand that I should keep writing this. No story should be left unfinished. I now know that I need to make this story more personal, so I will want to write more. Thank you to my readers, commenters and "likers". It really means a lot coming from people. This story has over 670 views. Ahhhh!

Sydney...

Matt and I start down the hill towards the townhouses. He's sharing stories about his siblings and I'm laughing along with him. He's fun to listen to. He tells me stories about when he was younger and he would come here to sit on the dock and just watch. He shows me how beautiful this place really is.

I'm kind of happy here. It's nice to be away from home, if I can even call it that. I'm making friends without even trying to and I'm having fun. Maybe this summer won't be so bad after all.

That night, I'm supposed to go out to dinner with my family and Dirk, but I wasn't feeling very well. I've had a lack of sleep the past couple nights.

Josh:

I can't get Sydney out of my head. Last night was a huge mistake and although Sydney and I are barely even friends, I feel guilty when I think about her. I screw up everything.

I need to make it up to her, though. Even if she doesn't know why I'm doing it for her, she'll still appreciate the gesture and I'll be a guilt free guy. I stand outside of her condo, debating if I should know on the door or not. I've never met her parents, and frankly, Sydney has never mentioned them. It would be awkward if I just went upstairs and knocked on her door, because chances are, one of her parents would answer the door.

I go over to her window, the one I threw rocks at the night of the dog track. The window is open, so I yell, "Cab the princess leave her castle?" After a minute, I see a blonde head pop up. She smiles that beautiful smile of hers. The one that makes my heart melt every time I look at her. I feel like she doesn't show it to many people, which makes me happy.

She holds up a one with her finger and walks away. I hear her front door open and her steps going down the stairs. I circle to the stairs of the building and see the beautiful girl. I can't believe what I did last night.

I shake off my feeling of regret and hold out my arm for her to follow. She hooks her arm through mine and we're walking side by side to the beach. I set up a little picnic there. With the help of April, I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and brought some sliced watermelon and some cookies that my mom made. We sit on the towel that I set up before picking her up.

"So what have you been up to?" I ask. I don't know why, but I'm nervous. I feel like she already knows that I've done something horrible.

She shrugs and looks off in the distance. She's probably thinking about the lake that sits behind me. Her hair blows in the breeze. Her green eyes shine in the sunlight. How was it that I was with someone else last night, when I have this beautiful girl sitting right here?

I have a guilty conscience. Just taking her here didn't make it okay. I like Sydney, but I did something that I regret. "Sydney, can you please look at me?"

She looks, confused.

"Two nights ago, I slept with this girl. It was disgusting, don't get me wrong, but I want our relationship to be honest." She raises her eyebrow at the last part, "N-not that we have a relationship or anything, it's just that I have a guilty conscience for doing that with that girl, which is stupid because it's not like we're dating or anything. It's just, I like you Sydney."

She blushes at that. I smack my face with my palm for being such an idiot. What the hell is wrong with me? I have no filter and I just started rambling out of no where. I'm such an idiot.

Sydney gently grabs my hand and moves it away from my face. She keeps her hand in mine as we eat our lunch.

God, this girl knows exactly how to calm me down and I've only known her for a few days.

I walk her back to her house. On our way back a few of my friends pass. "What's up McCallister?" Matt says.

"Nothing," I reply. He winks at Sydney while passing by. What the hell?

Just then, Logan says, as she's walking with the group, "You ready for a second round, Josh? You're little girlfriend won't mind, heck she won't even be able to tell you no." She says smugly.

"Shut up," I reply and grab onto Sydney's shoulders, steering her away from the group of idiots.

When we get to her house, she walks up the stairs to her condo, without saying goodbye or anything. "Sydney," I call, catching up to her. "Are you pissed at me right now?"

She nods her head. After our encounter with my stupid friends, she started walking farther away from me. They were all being jerks.

"I'm sorry Sydney. I didn't want all of this to happen."

"I-I trusted y-you J-Josh." She says and walks up the stairs.

The next couple days feel like complete hell. My parents aren't home, no surprise, and I stay in my room the whole time. My phone has been lighting up with calls and text messages, but I don't bother replying. They could think that I fell off the face of the earth for all I care.

Even though Sydney and I weren't in a relationship, I think she was more hurt by what Logan said. Don't worry, I won't ever be near that slut again. Who would make fun of someone with a speech impediment?

I messed up, I know, but I don't know how to make it up to her. I tried to have a sincere afternoon, but after our encounter with my friends, the whole thing backfired.

The next day, I decide to text her. I asked her, What are you doing tonight?

She responded back after a couple of minutes, I'm going to this party that my grandparents are bringing me to. I don't know much about it.

Shoot. Those parties are for old people and teenagers or kids who get suckered into going or dragged there. I haven't shown up to one of those since my grandpa was here, but if Sydney's going to be there, you better bet that I will be too. I text her back, Okay, I'll see you at 6.

I go into my closet to pick something nice to wear.