Chapter: 3

Sydney...

"Dirk, be careful!" My mom nags for about the millionth time this trip. I mean, she made her boyfriend drive us all the way here and he has only had his license for a month, so she can't expect him to be perfect.

"Well this guy is annoying me with his stupid sports car." Dirk says. He's constantly complaining about how we should have more money and my mother doesn't work enough. I just sigh and roll my eyes at her loser husband.

We are heading to my grandparents house in Delevan Wisconsin, where my mom and I used to live. A couple weeks ago we got a letter from them, inviting us to stay at their house for the summer. It's our first time back there since my mom was sued and I can tell that she's nervous about facing the past that she regrets so much. She's also introducing Dirk to her parents. Me, I don't care. I doubt anyone even remembers me. That's my hope.

. . . . . .

A half an hour later my mom shakes my leg. "Honey! Wake up, we are here!"

She thinks that this trip will be a positive thing for me. It's a change of scenery sure, but I doubt it will help.

Dirk finally parks the death wagon, I mean car, and unloads the trunk. He grabs his stuff and storms up the stairs of my grandparent's condo. My mom and him must have gotten in a fight again.

I carry my suitcase up the stairs behind my mom. She opens the door to my grandparent's condo.

It's bigger than I imagined. For only two people at least. It has a nice kitchen and a lot of windows overlooking the lake. The whole condo is decorated cabin-like, but it is very clean. There is mostly carpet on the first floor and the whole place smells like candles and pie.

"Oh my goodness! Sydney! You look so beautiful and grown up!" I turn to see a woman, whom I assume is my grandmother, opening her arms out for a hug. My first instinct, get the hell out of that situation. Physical contact appalls me. I dodge the hug, but I display my most friendly smile. My grandma looks at me questionably, but remained silent, most likely to be polite. My grandpa came up from behind and patted my shoulder and it took everything I had to not run back out the door because of this awkward situation.

This exchange made me realize that my grandparents don't know about my conditions, courtesy of my mother. That's the typical Mary Morgan for you. She doesn't even inform her own parents about her troubled daughter.

I glare at mom and clear my throat, begging for her to get the hint. How could she do this? She knows how important this summer is to me to start fresh. I don't want to be someone that hides my disorder anymore and by keeping my grandparents in the dark about it is not a good start. My mom finally swallows her pride and asks my grandma and grandpa to go outside and talk. She needs to explain this to her parents herself  and I respect her space. This is the talk that she never wanted to have.

I want others to understand what's going on with me. I don't need people thinking I'm a mental case or talking about me behind my back. This summer will be different, a fresh new start, hopefully.

A/N:

I'm now introducing some more characters. Hopefully you are starting to see where Josh and Sydney will cross paths?! Thank you for reading and voting, it means a lot to me!