Chapter: 12

A/N: I dedicate this chapter to the two people who were the first to comment on my story: SailedGold & surfemma you guys were the reason to keep me writing!!

I don't know how long it has been, but I've been trying to comfort Sydney for a while. Despite my best efforts, it took a while until she could fully stop shaking.

I can feel her breathing slow down and I use my freehand to move a few strands of hair out of her face. Her eyes are closed and her long eyelashes are wet with tears.

I sigh and lay my head back on the wall behind me. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

. . . . . .

Sydney...

I hear a scratching noise. Then a sound that almost sounds like someone is tapping on the ground. My eyes pop open. It's dark, but my eyes adjust quickly. Where am I?

I look up to see Josh's head resting on the wall. Oh, we're still at the dog track. Josh's eyes are closed. I watch as his face slightly twitches every time he takes in a breath. It's probably the most adorable thing in the world. He looks like a little kid, so innocent.

My thoughts are interrupted by another tapping sound, this one ending in a crash. My body flinches at the loud noise. Josh moves around and groans. At this point, I realize that I'm sitting on his lap. I move off, only to be welcomed by a sudden chill. I rub my arms up and down the sleeves of the sweatshirt Josh let me borrow.

There goes another bang. I jump and my heart starts to race as my eyes dart around the bleachers.

"J-Josh?" I whisper. He rubs his eyes and opens them. Even in the darkness, you could see the beautiful blues.

Josh looks around for a moment, but then realization washes over his face and his gaze returns to me. He gets up to stand next to me. Another crash echos through the enclosed space. I jump, not realizing that I grip Josh's arm. He looks down at me and slips it around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"S-s-someon-ne's in h-hear." I muster. He just simply nods and pulls his phone out to turn on the flashlight.

With the light coming from the phone, I see that his normally perfect hair is sticking up in different directions. I give a small smile. I think I like his even hair better this way. Noticing me staring, Josh smirks. "What, are my killer good looks distracting you?"

I laugh sarcasticly and roll my eyes, sliding out of his arm to look around. I hear another bang and I can feel my face grow pale. Without thinking, I back to Josh and grab his wrist for support and he slides his hand in mine.

Josh directs his phone to where the noise came from. The light is focused on one of the bleacher chairs a few aisles away from us. I look closely to see a racoon.

. . . . . .

Josh...

I hear Sydney scream. Thinking on my feet, I drag her to the ladder by her hand. Her eyes never leave the racoon as if they do, the racoon will attack.

I let Sydney go down the stairs first. I go down right behind her. We walk out of the gate.

. . . . . .

I wake up with a happy feeling. This is new considering I've woken up frustrated for the past couple weeks. Then, I remember last night and smile.

I pull on some flannel pajama pants and go downstairs.

"Morning Mom, morning Dad." I give my mom a kiss on the cheek. She's sitting on the couch looking out the window.

"Wow, someone's in a good mood this morning!" My mom gushes.

"For once." My dad says under his breath, just barely above a gruff wisper.

I frown at that and turn away, not wanting him to ruin my good mood, and leave without saying a word.

I go outside and sit on the porch to take a deep breath of the nice morning air. It's another bright sunny day without a cloud in the sky. My mind starts to drift off, thinking about Sydney. How she kept on grabbing me for support. How I told her my biggest seceret. Damn, I almost forgot
about that. Why had I told her about that? I've never told
anyone about my grandpa getting sick, or the state of my parents right now. Did I tell her those things because I knew she would listen? Did I know she would give me comfort?

My thoughts are interrupted by Matt coming into view on his ATV. "Hey Josh, what's up?" He hops off of the ATV and surprisingly, no girl follows.

"Hey Matt," I smirk. I'm happy that he's not drunk, high, or both for once during the summer.

"Are you going to Aaron's party tonight?" I roll my eyes, of course I'm going to be there. Instantly my mood changes from its former sweet and caring to cocky and self-loving.

"Hey guys!" Kyle comes up from behind me, clamping on my shoulder. I wince, but recover quickly. I turn around about to punch him in the stomach, but stop seeing that he's not alone.

Logan is right behind Kyle followed by her wannabes, Amber and Nicole. I smirk, looking at Logan. She looks at me and winks. Ohhhh this is going to be the best summer ever.

A/N: Alright, before we all judge Josh right here (I know I want to too) :( This is just giving readers insight to his attitude towards others and he can't be all sweet to Sydney in the begining, right?

(Sorry about the super short chapter)