Chapter: 8

Josh...

Sydney is still grasping me tight. Her breathing is evening out, a sign that she's calming down, but she's still crying and wheezing from time to time. I just keep my arms around her, letting her know I'm here, and letting her lean into me. I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I know that she needs something to calm her down.

I bring her down to the ground, unsure if she can support herself standing for much longer.

She follows my lead and I sit her right on my lap.

I try whispering in her ear, "It's okay, baby girl." I say gently. She nods in response with a wince.

Sydney...

I sit there with Josh for a while. I'm so scared. I grasp onto him for support to calm myself down so I don't get a seisure. It's a trick I've learned throughout the years. Sometimes I start to cry to avoid a seisure and just end up getting a minor panic attack. I think that's what's happening right now. My head lays against Josh's bare chest, listening to his heavy breathing and the sound of his heartbeat. Josh's heartbeat is my new favorite sound, I decided. He whispers in my ear again asking if I'm okay. I finally have stopped wheezing and the tears are starting to stop. I look up at him, instantly regretting that. I blush and pull away from him quickly. He looks at me, concerned, which is completely out of character for someone like him.

I get up and start to walk away, but he grabs my hand. I wince and it's obvious that he notices. I've had enough physical contact for a month let alone one day. It's making me on edge. Josh just grips my hand tighter. I try to pull away, but I'm not strong enough after all the events that have happened today. He steps closer to me and says softly, "Your going to have to tell me what's going on."

I shake my head. There's no way that I'm going to speak to him again after I completely embarrassed myself in front of him not once, but twice. Josh sighs and leads me off of the dock, gripping my hand the entire way.

Josh...

I decide to take her up to my most favorite place ever. The party earlier has moved to the beach by the lake so the clubhouse area is completely deserted. The sun is just about to set and I wanted Sydney to have a perfect view. On the way up the hill to the clubhouse, there are garages that are mostly for the people living in the condos.

I help Sydney climb up to the top of the roof and I do the same. Up here, there is a view of the entire lake. The sky contains brilliant colors of red, orange, yellow, blue, and purple.

I look over at Sydney to see that she's staring in awe. I smile. She looks like a little kid looking through the window of a candy shop. She looks so innocent and beautiful. Catching me staring, she looks at me and I watch her emerald eyes gleaming. I want to kiss her so badly, but something is telling me not to.

. . . . . .

Sydney...

A few hours after my little episode by the lake, I walk up the stairs to my grandparent's condo. It's 12:30 in the morning. I've never had a curfew set so I can't get in trouble. Right?

I open the door quietly and slip through. I slip my flip flops and lean against the door, sighing. Half because I'm happy that no one is awake to catch me and half because I keep thinking over the nights events with Josh. I'm not one to be all sentimental and physical, but it's a good kind of new feeling.

Just as I'm heading upstairs, I hear the lamp flicker on by the couch in the family room. I turn, midway up the spiral staircase. Busted. I hear my grandpa's voice. "Don't let it happen again Sydney." He chuckles. I smile, understanding that he has my back.

I go into my small bedroom. I'm the only one who sleeps on the top floor or den area so it's nice to have some privacy. I slip off my jean shorts, which are still kind of damp and take my tank top off. I pull on a Nike t-shirt and sweatpants, changing into my pajamas. I'm too lazy to shower tonight so I'll just do it first thing in the morning. I charge my phone and jump into bed. Only, I can't fall asleep. I toss and turn until finally, I end up falling asleep with thoughts of Josh in my head.

A/N:
I thought this chapter was kind of cute. The next couple chapters will be the same way. Also I'd really appreciate some feedback! Thank you! ;)