Ch. 6 - Sushi and Murder Plans

I sat hugging my knees to my chest, mouth a gaping open hole unsure whether to scream or laugh. Surely this had to be a big joke for initiation. Tiffani wasn't seriously asking them (and me!) to go through a kill list and knock off potential queens for a plastic tiara and a two bit title. And yet she was!  In this crazy psycho plan she saw world domination, and in it she had a sash that read 'Prom Queen'.

Each individual on the list was assigned an urban legend death in detail, except for herself of course, and Ronald. After the breakdown and timeline were gone over multiple times Marta entered the room like an elephant ninja carrying a tray of sushi and bubbling glasses of carbonated fresh squeezed juice. The robot minions attacked the trays like sharks on a heavy bleeding seal.

Tiffani put away the metal pointer she had used for the "How to Plan a Perfect Murder" lesson and held up a glass. "It's time to earn your keep slugs. We are going to make this year count. And when I wear the crown I will lead my court to the hottest guys, the best food, the most epic parties, and above all, fame."

The girls started squealing in unison and raced forward to embrace their queen in an impromptu hug. They were met with an elbow to the throat. "Let's not get carried away. This blouse in an original one of a kind made in a small town in Dubai by a ten year old prodigy of Troulièr. Body oils do not wear well. We can hug when the job is done."

My shock filled form stayed seated on the floor as sushi was inhaled and sparkling drinks clinked together in victory. I was still looking for hidden cameras and waiting for the Prank vs Prank team to rush out and start yelling. But maybe we were too early in the game. I'd play along. After all the show is only good if the person being pranked looks believable.

I grabbed my goblet, drank like a desert dweller after a long walk, and gobbled some California rolls

I grabbed my goblet, drank like a desert dweller after a long walk, and gobbled some California rolls. Before I knew what happened I was riding the wave of euphoria. It just happened. It spread like chicken pox in a nursery.

The girls and I went into the magic Walmart closet and put on the new nighttime uniforms just to "get the vision". Black yoga pants, sleek shiny black spandex shirts, and thin cotton caps that rolled down into masks. Visions of 'Totally Spies" floated around in my head and I was waiting for the laser lipstick tube. Tomorrow was Friday, Tori would have a random beach themed party we would all be expected to attend.

Tiffani would leave the party with Ronald early, citing an unavailable space to make out

Tiffani would leave the party with Ronald early, citing an unavailable space to make out.   We would pretend to leave and secretly hide out in her bedroom waiting for everyone to leave. Apparently Tori's parents were in Spain and she was hated by the help. It seemed pretty perfect, except for the killing part, and I was pretty sure that wasn't really going to happen.

We wound down from the high of food and sugar and Tiffani handed us each a silver charm bracelet from Tiffany's with a silver heart pendant.  It was engraved with a future date. I stared at the date trying to figure it out until it clicked, it was the date of prom.

"These are just the beginnings of the gifts. But it may be the most important. It's a symbol of the day we take our place as leaders. Now don't be idiots. Don't screw this up and don't screw me over. I'm doing this for all of us."

The girls were lost in the shine in their bracelets like a cat watching a laser pointer. Tiffani put them on us, one by one, ceremonial like. As she dangled them in front of us we were each expected to repeat her words.

"The cause is always worth the struggle

"The cause is always worth the struggle. We aren't striving to change the world, we are striving to change our world. The secrets of today will bind us together forever."

We repeated it like true brainwashed minions. And I did feel it, the sisterhood of sharing a secret. I'm not going to lie, I also felt like a target on Impractical Jokers, but still deep down I was determined to let this play out and see how far it would go. (And the bracelet was really pretty).

Because we had already had food and drink the ride home was way less weird. The minion girls hummed to "sorry" with the windows down. I could practically hear their muscles relaxing and they sunk into the leather. I decided it was as good of a chance as any to put the feelers out.

"So, that was quite the party. I mean, except for the lack of strippers and the murder plans it could've been a Friday night."

The girls smirked at me. Mindi started to speak and closed her mouth taking another look at the bracelet dangling from her pale left wrist.

I had a nibble, I just needed to reach a nerve. So I kept going. "I mean, for a few minutes I actually believed we were going to kill someone to make sure Tiffani gets a tiara at prom!"

The blonde next to me in the back blurted "It won't be the first time" and immediately covered her mouth with her bracelet laden hand.

The other girls shot her death daggers and her skin turned a brighter pink than neon.  Immediately her eyes dropped to her knees and she stayed that way the rest of the ride.

I giggled as I got out of the car, positive the "what would you do" guy was standing on the other side of the pine trees.  When nothing happened I gave the girls a flippant wave and a snarky "tomorrow bitches" before racing up the drive and into my sanctuary. 

I grabbed my favorite pillow, the one I always keep under the coverlet to hide the "Bieber Fever" pillowcase and hugged it like my life depended on it.  I had no idea how to feel.  On one hand, I was totally in with the "it" crowd I wanted to be in with and was about to attend my first senior party, on the other, I might be a serial killer by the end of this. Surely Harvard could understand peer pressure and overlook one tiny weenie transgression. Right?

******************************************
There ya have it. My last night of normalcy. Remembering it all now I'm not sure what lured me more, the group, the jewelry, or the tray of sushi, its all such a blur now and it was such a long time ago. People say you never forget your first kiss, I guess its true as well for your first murder.  Especially when things don't go as planned.  It's not too late to bow out people, but reading on will make you an accessory.  Speaking of accessory's, where is that bracelet?