24.1

~Jayden's POV~

"Jayd, you have to tell me what's wrong or I can't help you," Simon whispers after a few minutes. I want to ask him to take me to the hospital, but I'm scared. I'm scared to see him. "What can you feel?"

"The absence," I mutter, tears still slipping down my face and onto his shirt. It's now damp.

"Of what?" He asks softly before pulling back from the hug and looking at me. I don't want to say it. Saying it will make it true.

"Jake," I barely make out before breaking into sobs again.

Right before I entered Simon's room I had gotten a call, waking me up. Luckily, my phone wasn't dead.

~Fifteen Minutes Earlier~

"Hello," I say, groggily. I didn't looked at the contact or number, so I don't know who's calling me.

"Am I speaking to Jayden Summers?" a lady's voice asks, sounding quite professional causing me to be confused.

"Uh, yeah. Who is this?" I question before sitting up in the bed. I look around, piecing together that I must be at the sidemen's house.

"My name Michelle Michelson. I'm calling to tell you that you're twin brother, Jakob Summers, is in critical condition," she explains and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What? Why?" I ask and the lady sighs before typing on her computer. I can hear the clicking through the line.

"He was in a car crash. I can only tell you he's in critical condition over the phone ma'am," she says and tears well up in my eyes.

All of a sudden it clicked when she said that.

The weird feeling I could sense in the pit of my stomach.

Jake and I were always the weird set of twins that could sense each other. He used to prick his finger when we were younger to annoy me.

Now, I just feel empty.

~Present Time~

"Jayd, what's wrong with Jake?" Simon asks concerned, but I shake my head. The feeling in my stomach getting worse.

"Can, can you take me to the hospital?" I ask, stumbling over my own words. Simon nods immediately before helping me stand up.

He wraps an arm around my waist before we go downstairs, not stopping to tell the other boys.

"Jayden?" Simon asks, getting my attention once we're halfway to the hospital. My anxiety is everywhere, and I feel empty. I look over at him, waiting for him to continue. "It's going to be okay."

He can't promise that.

Nobody can.

Once we're there we walk to the front desk, and I ask for my brother's room.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but you can't see him right now," she explains and it feels like the world has stopped spinning. Everything is crumbling underneath and around me.

Simon gently grabs me and guides me to a waiting chair.

"Hey, hey, look at me," he gently demands before lifting my head towards his, his thumbs wiping away tears. My vision is blurry, but I can see that he's still wearing his glasses from driving. "You're okay Jayd. I'm here, right now, with you. I'm always going to be here.

"Jake is a strong guy. I've only known him for awhile, but I know that. He fights for what he wants. And him being in there sucks, a lot, but you have to remember how strong he is. He's going to do everything he can to pull through.

"And even if he doesn't make it, which I know nobody wants since he's such a great guy, you two have had so many great memories. He's left behind an amazing life with you. Even with me and Josh, Vik, and JJ.

"Jake was your brother, yes, but he was also your friend. He needs you to be strong as well, because you know, no matter the outcome of tonight, that he wants you to be strong.

"I know how hard this is for you, Jayd, but Jake loves you, and I love you, and you can't let yourself fall apart right now. Jake's going to need all the strength he can get, including yours." Simon says, and I urge my tears to stop flowing. He's right, I can't be weak right now.

"Thank you," I whisper and Simon nods before searching my eyes, trying to see emotions in them to know what I'm feeling. Although, I'm sure they're emotionless, because I don't feel anything.

Not even hope.

"I'm going to go call Josh, alright?" Simon asks and I nod my head before glancing over to a clock hung on the wall. 2:46 in the morning.

I just want Jake to be okay.

I can't live with this pit in my stomach for the rest of my life.

And if he does die, I'm sure there'll be a hole in my heart as well.

8.14.16

awh </3

nobody guessed it...

i actually figured someone would, but it took you all by surprise.

poor jake

do you think he's gonna make it?

also, 5k reads

you guys are honestly amazing.

i really do love you all <3

aspen <3