Chapter 23: The Hunt for Chase Parker

Start from the beginning

“Hey Char. How was the date?” asked Britton as his head perked up from the t.v. I walked over to him and stopped in front of me blocking his view of the t.v.

“Charlotte, what the- Char are you okay?” And I burst into tears. Britton grabbed me and made me sit beside him on the sofa. Pulling me into a hug, he smoothed out my hair and told me it will be alright. He then pulled away and looked at me.

“What happened? It wasn’t Chase was it? Oh that little di-” I stopped him.

“It wasn’t him. It was me. Chase and I got in a fight, because he never took me out alone on a date or asked me to homecoming and now I sound like a basic bitch.” I continued to sob. Britton’s face changed from anger to ‘oh-jesus-I-think-it’s-that-time-of-the-month-again’.

“Okay hold in there Char. I’m going to grab the jar of Nutella in the fridge and then we'll pop in some super cheesy chick flick you like and all will be good. Okay? Now don’t sob into the couch, you might ruin the leather.” said Britton as he got up and rushed to the kitchen. In record time Britton came back with his the jar of nutella and two spoons. He then went to the cabinet below the t.v and picked out a stack of chick flicks.

“Britton, I didn’t even say sorry to him. I don’t know why I even asked him to take me to homecoming.” I said as my head drooped.

“Hey there Char, come on. Maybe you just wanted to be like the rest of the girls who get asked to homecoming in a special way.” reasoned Britton.

“But I called it a sweaty smelly sauna for teenagers.”

“Well, not gonna deny it isn’t. Maybe you just feel like he isn’t appreciating you like you want? You have to talk about it with him Char. Maybe you’re just uncomfortable with all this dating. I mean you were off the market for like a year and a half.” He said as he laid ‘The Notebook’ ‘She’s All That’ and ‘10 things I hate about you’ in front of me. Smiling I chose the last movie and had him place it in the DVD player. I snuggled closer to my brother and vowed to talk to Chase face to face on Monday.

*

Panic. That was what I was feeling at the moment. Chase hadn’t returned my phone calls, texts, even my social networking attempts. I really screwed up this time. As soon as Britton placed the car in park in the student parking lot at school I dashed out and ran to my locker to obviously find Michelle and Emily there. Before they could even get a word out I spoke.

“Where’s Chase?” I asked a little out of breath from running.

“Hi Charlotte, How are you? Thanks, I’m doing great! My weekend was amazing, thanks for asking.” said Michelle sarcastically. Rolling my eyes and avoiding the sass, I continued.

“I’m on the verge of a BOTW. I need to see Chase stat.” I said using the code word for “break-up on the way”. Emily and Michelle gasped. I nodded in response.

“What happened?” asked Emily, always wanting the details on the 4-1-1.

“I’ll tell you later, first Chase.” I said getting back to topic.

“Well, I haven’t seen him all morning and would usually be here. I’m sorry, Char.” said Emily as I rested my head against my locker and groaned. Sadly, I opened my locker to find a neatly folded note on top of my books. Unfolding it I read it aloud.

I know I’m on your mind

Which is very kind

but you must find

me unless you’re blind.

Love,

Chase