The Sorting (2)

***Alex's P.O.V.*** 

All the first years followed Professor McGonagall, the Head of Gryffindor and the Transfiguration teacher, to the front of the Great Hall after riding up to the castle in a boat with Hagrid. Professor McGonagall put an old hat on the stool and I was bubbling with excitement. A rip opened by the hat's brim and it started to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I am the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The hall filled with applause. Professor McGonagall told the first years to line up and I straightened up, in between Ron and Hermione. Everyone was called alphabetically. Hermione got up there before us. She put on the Sorting Hat. 

"GRYFFINDOR!" it called. 

Next was Draco. He walked confidently to the stool. He barely placed the hat on his head and it shouted, "SLYTHERIN!" I secretly crossed my fingers for Slytherin, but I also wanted to be with Hermione and my older brothers. Harry was called and everyone whispered due to him being famous. He got sorted into Gryffindor after about a few minutes of sitting with the hat on his head. Ron was sorted into Gryffindor, like the rest of the Weasleys.

"Wilson, Alexandra!" shouted McGonagall. I heard a whoop and shook my head and smiled at Fred. McGonagall glared at him. 

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouted. The whole Gryffindor table cheered and I looked at Draco. He waved and I waved back. I sat down next to Ron. Fred and George shook my shoulders. 

"That's my sister!" they said. I giggled. 

"Welcome, Alex, to the wonderful house of Gryffindor!" Percy said, with his prefect badge gleaming on the front of his robes. 

"Thank you, prefect Percy," I said, saluting him. He cracked a smile and I smiled back. I looked towards the Slytherin table and looked at Draco. He caught my gaze and smirked. I felt heat crawl up my neck and I smirked back. I turned back. 

"What was that?!" Ron asked. 

"What was what?" I asked innocently. 

"The smiling at Malfoy all the time. You don't fancy him, right?" 

"No!" I said. I fought the blush starting in my cheeks. 

"Good. I can't let that happen to my little sister."

"Hey! I am only 5 months younger!" I argued back playfully. After dessert and Professor Dumbledore's speeches, it was time to head up to bed. I walked out of the Great Hall and someone tapped my shoulder. I turned my head and saw Draco walking behind me. 

"Hello, Draco," I said. 

"Hey, Alex. I guess I might see you in classes since Gryffindors and Slytherins usually have some class together," he said. 

"That's cool. I guess I will see you tomorrow."

"Alright then. Well, good night."

"Good night, Draco," I replied. I caught up with Hermione, Harry, and my brothers. 

"Where were you?" asked Ron. 

"Just talking to Draco. Oh shut up Ron," I said when he groaned. "He was saying how Gryffindors and Slytherins have some classes together."

"Ooh, does Alex fancy a Slytherin? Rebel," said Fred. I punched his arm, and I smirked once he started rubbing it.

"And no, I do not fancy him. He is just a friend."

"For now," George muttered. I punched his arm too, and he reacted the same way as Fred. I laughed at them and they playfully glared at me. We went to the portrait in front of the Gryffindor common room, a painting of a lady called the Fat Lady. 

"Caput Draconis," Percy said to her. She nodded and the portrait swung open, revealing the opening for the common room. Percy turned to us. "That is the password this year. Do NOT tell another house. There is a different password each year and the prefects will always tell you what it is on the first day." All the first years nodded while the others just stood there impatiently.We walked in the common room. It looked extremely comfortable. Flames were blazing from the fire places and cushion chairs and coffee tables where everywhere. Percy explained to the first years that the left staircase was for the boys and the right was for the girls. 

Hermione and I ran up the steps and found the dormitory number that was enclosed in our Hogwarts letter. We ended up getting a room together, along with Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown. We were in one of the few dormitories with only four people. We found that our beds are right next to each other. A trunk lay on my bed baring the Hogwarts crest and my initials, A.W., were engraved on the side. I transferred all my stuff into the dresser and placed Nova and her cage on top. After getting dressed in my bed clothes, I opened up a Muggle classic. Hermione scared me when she plopped on my bed. 

"Do you honestly fancy Draco Malfoy?" she whispered so the other girls wouldn't hear. I looked at her with concern. "Don't worry, I won't tell the boys. I promise!" I sighed. 

"I think so," I muttered. Hermione shrieked. 

"I can't believe you fancy someone on the first day!" I shushed her. 

"Ooh, who do you fancy?" Lavender asked suspiciously. 

"No one. Well good night!" I said, blowing out the flame in my lantern. 

"Ooo-kayyy!!" Parvati said. I huffed at Hermione. She showed me a sign of sympathy and I shrugged it off. I slept right away.