Genji x Fem!Reader || Acceptance

Genji x Fem!Reader
Requested by: EnglishTart

"What is your problem!?" you shouted with your hands on your hips.
"My problem, is you getting in my way!" shouted the half-cyborg, half-man in response, and you could feel his gaze burning into your soul even through his helmet.
"Well sorry for trying to keep on the payload and keep us in overtime!"
"Next time, let me do the work and stay out of the way. You're only a defensive hero, not a tank, not an offensive hero, you're only a support and you're not as experienced as the other supports! You aren't strong enough to fight, let people like myself or Jesse do the work and keep on the payload! You got directly in the way by doing what you did and cost us the payload anyways!"

You stared at him in disbelief, it felt like he'd just completely undermined you. It was true you hadn't been here as long or had as much experience as Ana, Mercy, or Zenyatta, but Lucio was only here for around a year or two longer than you, it hurt having someone say that to you. Unfortunately, you weren't exactly alone while having this argument with him. Your whole team from earlier was staring in shock at the words that were just said. Tracer had her mouth opened wide in disbelief, and Hanzo looked startled with the outburst. Mei was quiet, eyes clearly showing how startled she was, and D.va was staring at you with sympathy. "(y/n)..." started Tracer as she reached towards you, but you quickly slapped at her hand.
"Don't touch me," you said harshly. "If that's how he feels, then let him. I don't need your sympathy."
"But (y/n)...you don't look ok-"
"Stop Lena, leave it!" you snapped at her and turned away from her, heading for the door.
"(y/n)!" she yelled after you as you stormed out, not before hearing her turn on the person you'd spoken to before and say, "Genji, what is wrong with you!?"

--

You groaned flopping on your bed and felt ready to pull out fistfuls of your (h/l) (h/c) hair. Why was he so rude to you? It felt like no matter what you did both in training, on the battlefield, on missions, even simply doing something in the base, he scolded you for it, yelled at you, or simply shook his head at you as if in disappointment. It was embarrassing and infuriating, especially since more than likely he'd make you stop whatever you were doing and do it instead, forcing you out of the way. You grabbed a pillow, shoving your face in it and let out a muffled scream into it. He complicated things so much, and you felt stupid for liking him despite how he acted and treated you. You closed your eyes, remembering how he'd acted just this morning when you'd gone to get your breakfast.

-FLASHBACK-

You hummed softly to yourself as you grabbed a plate and walked down the little buffet style line that was laid out for agents to get their own breakfast. You were looking over everything to decide what you wanted, there was so much delicious looking food that consisted of bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, and more. It all made your mouth water, and you decided on taking a little bit of everything before turning around and going over to join Tracer, D.va, and Lucio who were all chatting as they ate. You set down your plate and went to go get a drink to accompany your meal.

You made your way over to the machines and looked over the many juices, types of coffees and other drinks, trying your best to think of what to have. You settled on coffee, going to grab a pot, but hesitated as you didn't know what kind to get. You heard an aggravated sigh behind you and whirled around, seeing Genji standing there. "Oh- Genji hi," you said, trying to start a conversation with the normally rude man. "Move," was all he replied with and nudged you aside before getting some tea for himself. You stared at him with an incredulous look and he turned his head slightly in your direction. "What are you staring at me for? You're slow, now close your mouth before a bug flies into it." With that, he walked off leaving you speechless.

-BACK TO REALITY-

You jumped slightly hearing a knock on your door and left out an annoyed huff, pushing yourself up off your comfortable bed. You walked over and opened the door, seeing the man you loved and hated all the same. "No," was all you said and started to close the door, but he swiftly placed a foot in the way to keep it from closing. "(y/n), please," he pleaded which took you off guard, loosening your grip on the door which caused him to be able to enter and shut the door behind him. "Please just listen."
Instantly, your guard was back up, and you crossed your arms before reply hotly, "I am listening."
"Look...there is a uh...reason for being so harsh towards you," he sighed.
"Oh really? Please enlighten me, I'm all ears," you replied with a sharp tone.
"(y/n)...you aren't exactly making this easy..." he mumbled.
"Good, because you haven't exactly been kind to me. Ever since I joined Overwatch, you've given me a hard time, you're condescending, harsh, rude..." you said, turning your back to him as you started toward the window. "I've tried to be nothing but nice and friendly with you, but you treat me terribly when I've done nothing wrong! You act like I'm a nuisance and can't help anyone in Overwatch, or myself. Do you know how insensitive you're being acting that way? I try my best to do well, to meet not just your expectations, but everyone's and no matter how hard I try I can please everyone except you..."

You were at the windowsill by now with your hands resting upon it, staring out into the night with its vast expansion of stars and the large crescent moon that hung over the sky. You gritted your teeth, eyes closing, and your right hand made a fist. You slammed it down hard on the oak wood, anger bubbling over into every bit of your being. You whirled around to snap at him some more, but your mouth went dry, and you couldn't find the words. There was Genji, mere inches from you, his face visible without the front of his helmet on. You could see his pale skin, his glowing green eyes and locks of green hair that slightly poked out from under his helmet. Several scars littered his face, but you couldn't help but melt on the inside, he was handsome, absolutely stunning and your heart pounded at how close he was.

His hand made its way to your face, caressing your cheek as his fingers lightly grazed at your skin as if he was scared he'd harm you with a simple touch. You were completely entranced in his gaze, unable to look away as his face neared yours, and your eyes closed as his lips lightly grazed your own. You felt his breath tickle at your cheeks before they softly pressed against your own. You hesitated slightly, gently kissing back to show you were acceptant of it, and his shyness grew to boldness. The kiss deepened and your arms wrapped around his neck as he snaked an arm behind your lower back, pulling you against him. After several moments, he pulled away, breathing slightly heavy as he stared at you intently. "This is why I was hard on you...I...I didn't want to accept how I felt," he said. "I thought you'd never accept someone like myself and here you are...accepting me, allowing my presence after all I've done."
"Oh Genji..." you whispered softly. "No matter how hard you were on me...I loved you and I never thought of anything wrong with who you are. I was accepting of you the day I met you and fell for you not long after...I love you Genji..."
"I love you too (y/n)...I'm so sorry for everything..."
"It's ok...it's ok..." you whispered, foreheads touching and stared him deeply in the eyes as his hand moved from your cheek to your back.

You closed your eyes, relaxing as he held you in his arms, murmuring sweet nothings in your ears. His fingers rubbing circles into your back as you enjoyed being there with just you and him.