chapter thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

"Have you talked to Joe recently?" she asked me as we both got inside the front of the car. Marcus went around back and opened the door as Zoë looked at me, waiting for an answer.

"I've tried calling him, but he hasn't really answered," I admitted before looking away from her intent gaze. Every time I looked into Zoë's blue eyes, it only reminded me of the regret and sadness that Joe's blue eyes held that day.

"He's going to come around, eventually."

"I just wish that eventually would be now."

+

"Alyssa Deyes!" I heard Dr. Wilson call my name as Zoë, Marcus and I sat in the main waiting room. I looked up at her before rising from my seat and grabbing my crutches on the ground for support. Zoë and Marcus stayed where they were and smiled before assuring me that everything was going to go good. I smiled quickly before making my way towards Dr. Wilson. She smiled as I approached and placed a hand on my back before leading me away into one of the vacant rooms.

"How are you?"

"I'm good, I said before smiling softly. "How's everything in the hospital?"

"It's been surprisingly quiet ever since you left," she said before smirking slightly. I let out a soft laugh before sitting down on the bed.

"If all goes well, you won't be needing those anymore," she said before motioning towards my crutches.

"I'm ready to get rid of those."

"Well, let's take a look at your leg," Dr. Wilson said as she grabbed a chair and sat down directly in front of me. My legs dangled off the hospital bed as she unwrapped the bandage off of it. She looked up at me halfway through and motioned towards the door. "I was surprised when I saw that Joe wasn't here."

"He had a meeting," I said quickly, covering the truth. She raised an eyebrow curiously, but didn't say anything further. I stayed quiet and gazed at her intently, watching as she examined my leg.

"Can you bend your leg for me?" she asked, before looking up at me, waiting for a response. I nodded before I bent my leg back with ease. "There's no pain, at all?"

"None."

"Well, it looks like you're good. There's no visible bruising or swelling, and you aren't feeling any pain whatsoever."

"So that's it?"

"Yep, that's it."

"And I won't be needing my crutches anymore?"

"No, you can just leave them here and hopefully you'll never have to use crutches in a long time."

"Thank you for everything, Dr. Wilson," I said quickly before pulling her into a quick hug. She embraced me quickly and then we broke apart.

"I'll walk you back to the waiting room," she said softly before opening the door. I smiled gratefully in her general direction as we walked side by side. Just before we walked out into the open, she grabbed my arm and turned me towards her.

"Take it easy, okay?"

"I will, I promise," I said before giving her one last hug. She let go of me and gave me a wholehearted wave before we separated and went our own ways. I walked back towards Zoë and Marcus, watching as they stood up and met me halfway.