Chapter 37: Grinding

It took Michael and Inari a whole hour to find their first quarry, though it wasn't exactly what he was looking for. Tigers were easy to deal with, because they always traveled alone, but the enemies that the two of them faced were a lot more numerous.

He complained "Since when do lions even live in the fucking jungle? Ugh, well whatever, at least there's only six of them." Aside from the fact that they were covered in shimmering silver fur, the rank-G, level-five lionesses, were fairly similar to the kind that normally lived in the savannas in his original world.

Without thinking about any sort of strategies or tactics, Michael immediately took out the Arcane Orb from his inventory and pitched it towards the one that was closest to him. Meanwhile, Inari growled at them and the moment that three of the felines pounced at her relatively large body, she leaped into the air.

Her Agility was extremely high, combined with the sheer size of her frame, her jump had easily reached three meters upwards. Then the four tails latched onto a giant tree-branch and waited until the lionesses landed, before she started her counter-attack.

Even with the distance being so close, Michael still needed time to throw and receive the ball. As he pitched the second strike in a row, his first target had died and rewarded him with five experience-points.

However, a different one pounced towards him as he was catching the Arcane Orb, so he wasn't able to dodge in time. Noticing her partner's crisis, Inari used her hind legs to launch herself downwards, chomping the back of the airborne lioness' neck, and slamming her into the ground.

A huge '-55' appeared, and then with a quick jerk, the cat's head was literally torn off. Michael started laughing hysterically, and praised "Good girl! Now stop playing around with the carcass and help me kill the other three!"

Seeing that gruesome scene, the three remaining felines were slightly frightened and turned all of their attention towards the gigantic vixen. Even when the naked man threw the seemingly harmless ball at their bodies, they just ignored it and banded together to use their only spell.

As the lionesses roared, it caused Inari's mind to become hazy, and nearly knocked her unconscious, while directly dealing over twenty-five points of damage. Fortunately, the combined attack was weakened when one of the three cats was swiftly killed by two bounces of a brightly-glowing ball.

After that, she was furious, and pounced at the one which was to her left, while Michael attacked the other. With a quiet whimper, one was reduced to zero health, while the other was viciously torn apart by the overbearing Quad-Tailed Nature-Fox. As the fifth lioness died, his body started glowing brightly and he heard that monotonous voice announcing "You have reached level seven."

Out of curiosity, he placed both points into Perception, but when he did, both of his dark-brown irises began glowing bright-red. He glanced around a few times and yelled "Holy shit, it's like I'm wearing glasses! Hahaha~, I can finally see again!"

His vision was superhuman when he was in wisp-form, but normally, everything was so blurry, that he could barely recognize his own parents from more than five meters away. However, it wasn't merely his eyesight that had been enhanced.

Michael could hear all of the annoying animal noises within several miles, even louder and clearer. He could actually sense the mana in the air around him, and when he looked at his mini-map, there were plenty of white, yellow, red and purple dots, surrounding the two blue ones.

From his understanding of game mechanics, he muttered "White means they're too weak to pose a threat, yellow is probably within our level range, red would most likely be dangerous, while purple will definitely kill us."