Chapter 36: Class-Change

Elina was cowering on the ground and crying, while clutching the key in both of her hands. She prayed "Goddess forgive me, I've taken the life of one of your children..." It was actually the first time that she had ever killed another person before.

Paladins or Crusaders of different sects or races slaughtering each-other was fairly normal, but she was a Priestess of Light, who specialized in healing. Similar to how sex was a taboo, ending the life of another person of the Light Affinity, was an incredibly grave sin.

Contrary to her fears of divine punishment, she received a message: "Light Affinity has reached level-5." Something that she had been meditating, praying, and working towards for so long, had been achieved after she committed such a terrible crime.

While she was suffering from a large amount of mental shock, Sarah's body began glowing brightly. Then a monotonous feminine voice resounded "You have reached level-7."

Before she had the chance to invest any stat-points, she received notification: "Class-Change Quest Completed: A Thief who kills for the sake of stealing a person's belongings and becoming wealthy, is considered a Bandit. However, an Assassin is also, in the end, someone who murders for a profit. You desire something more, you crave the bloodshed, you love the brutality, and most importantly... you despise yourself for being weak. There is great power in Darkness, but the proper path cannot be chosen for you."

After that, she was shown three different weapons: A dagger, a sickle, then a slightly curved short-sword, which had only a single blade. They were each simple, dull and unimpressive, so there was certainly no difference in quality between them.

She grumbled "Ugh, what the fuck is all this bullshit? Some kinda test?" Then she turned to the weeping Priestess and yelled "Hey, Dumbass, stop crying like a little bitch and help me decide something!"

Elina immediately snapped out of her shock and looked around her, noticing that all of the white-clothed Inquisitors had been dyed completely red, from their own blood. The corpses were sprawled out onto the inn's rubble, and a horrible stench was wafting through the air.

Those dark clouds were still blocking out the sunlight, and she witnessed countless incorporeal spirits wandering around the ruins. After gazing up at Sarah, she asked "Why would you help me?"

The Bloodworm-Goblin scowled, before complaining "The hell are you talking about? I killed them because of a Quest; the same reason why I followed you here, and now I need to pick between a dagger, a sickle and a short-sword for some reason. I can use either of the three, but I'm pretty sure the one I choose, is gonna decide what my new Class turns into. Whaddya think?"

Elina grabbed a leather money-pouch off of one of the corpses and placed the rusty key inside, then muttered "A sickle is used by Farmers, Ninja, and Cultists or Necromancers; Daggers and short-swords are too vague... explain their appearances more clearly."

Sarah tilted her head and said "Let's see... well, the dagger is kinda wavy, like a slithering snake. The sword has only one edge, and its curved slightly, aside from that, there's a mark on the hilt of each one. Fuck it, I'll just go with the..."

When she had finally decided, a pitch-black fog enveloped her body and swirled around rapidly for a few moments, before condensing into the form of a weapon. The Priestess immediately used her 'Scan' on the object, and a screen popped-up in-front of both of them: "Obsidian Wakizashi: Increases the wielder's Dexterity, Agility and Willpower by one, and Attack Rating by twenty. Soulbound to Sarah Carelia, and can only be worn by her. Rare Quality, requires level­-five."

It was certainly an excellent sword, but she still complained "Didn't even come with a fucking scabbard..." However, she was amazed to discover the pitch-black blade started entering inside of her right palm, and turning into a tattoo.