Sad Morning...

JUNE POV

I wake up to the smell of bacon... A lot of people think I'm one of those people that hate bacon, but honestly who hates bacon? 

Looking over at the empty space next to me I remember Rick just tucking me in and kissing the side of my head before walking out and sleeping on his couch bed. Throwing my legs to the side I do the usual morning stretch and walk out of the room.

Rick stands with his back facing me, two plates of bacon and eggs sit on the counter top. I hear the sound of toast jumping out of the toaster. 

Does he ever get scared?

I hide back into the room and wait by the side of the door, footsteps walk towards the room. An evil smirk grows on my face as the sounds come closer.

"June-"

"GAAAH!" I jump at Rick.

"SHIT!" Rick jumps back.

I start laughing hysterically.

"Jesus June you nearly gave me a heart attack!" Rick pants.

"I wanted to know if you ever get scared." I raise my hands in defense. "And your reaction answers my question perfectly."

Rick leans up on the wall and releases a nervous breath, he looks back at me.

"I made by breakfast by the way."

"I can smell the bacon from here." I walk past him to the kitchen.

Thirty minutes later...

"You can sure as hell cook." I tell Rick as I place my plate into the sink. "Really good."

Rick smiles at me.

I take a better look around the place, government must really love him if he lives in a place like this... Wonder how many girls he took in here.

"Any other girls you took in here?" I can't help but ask.

"Not really... The only girls that come here are Katana, my cousin Karin, and my ex."

"So you did have a girlfriend."

"Well I thought she was... But she was just using me to get her ex back, that was high school."

"Bitch..."

"Definitely was... How bout you? Any boys in your life that got you?"

Other than you? "Well there was a British guy, John, but uhhh I broke up with him when I found out he was gonna dump me for this girl Zatanna."

"Man's a bastard for choosing someone over you."

I narrow my eyes at him. "What are you implying Flag?"

"I'm just saying he's an idiot, your pretty, smart, and charming. I don't get people who just walk out on people who are damn near perfect."

"One... I'm the boring girl everyone picks on because she'd rather spend her nose pointed at a book than get laid almost every night. Two... Compare me to the other girls, I'm an ugly duckling... Three, I'm boring and useless! Four-"

"Exactly why are you saying these things about yourself?" Rick cuts me off.

"Because it's true!" I'm starting to tear up. "No one wants to have a relationship with a workaholic nerd who's perception of fun is just staring at a book or computer all day! Nobody needs a-"

"Stop!"

At this point I'm already crying.

"June... I don't understand why you degrade yourself. From the three months I've known you, you stand as one of the nicest and most beautiful girls I've ever met... Why do you let these things get into your head? Fuck the assholes! You shouldn't listen to what they say because there's only one person who can judge you and that's you!"

I look down on the floor, only for Rick to tilt my head back up to face his.

"You say who you are... Are you gonna be the ugly duckling you call yourself or be the beautiful swan you are."

No words come out, just me wrapping my arms around Rick and him returning the gesture.