First Day...

JUNE POV

I bite my lip as I sit nervously on the chair.

"Gum?"

I look up to my left and see the head of the security.

"Helps me..." He says plainly.

"Thanks." I take a stick and pop it into my mouth.

We stay in silence for about five minutes.

"First day?" He breaks the silence.

"Yeah." I laugh nervously.

"It's okay to be nervous around here... Amanda Waller is uhhh..."

"A little rough?"

"I guess you can say that." He laughs.

"Ms. Moone!" Amanda's secretary calls me.

"Goodluck."

"Thanks."

I stand up, toss the gum into the trash, and enter Amanda's office.

"Take a seat doctor Moone." Amanda says.

Slowly taking the seat in front of her desk, I place my file in front of her. Amanda takes the file and starts browsing, she looks up at me.

"Doctor Moone... You've been funding your own researches and expeditions for almost six years now and what you present to me are findings that took more than a decade for my team here in ARGUS to find. It would be a pleasure to have you work with us Dr. Moone."

I can only smile.

"I'll have Colonel Flag escort you to your new office, I'll have your equipment there within the hour."

"Thank you." I stand up and walk towards the door.

"You're working with a private military Dr. Moone... I want you to know that."

Amanda must see my confusion because she just goes back to her desktop. Not saying a word other than goodbye, I walk out of the room. The head of security, Colonel Flag, stands by the door.

"Follow me Dr. Moone."

Flag leads the way to the office Amanda gave me.

"I'll take that she didn't say much?" Flag asks as we turn the corner into an empty hallway.

"Yeah... She uhh, just told me I'm hired and said that this is an organization that protects people... Isn't this an archeological facility?"

"It is, only difference is we go to the most dangerous sites in the world. Bag an artifact of interest and bring it back."

"What do you mean by artifact of interest?"

"That's classified information doctor, I can't disclose that information even if I wanted to. The only person that can tell you that is Amanda Waller herself."

"So your a colonel." I keep the conversation going.

"I am... ARGUS has their own private military op. Don't ask about it."

"Is it classified?" I smirk.

"Yes... But I don't have the clearance to know... Amanda's words."

Rick stops walking.

"Your office doctor." He opens the door for me.

"Thank you colonel." I give him a small smile.

"Call me Rick."

"June." I offer my hand.

He takes it, his grip is firm as we shake. Maybe because he's been holding that rifle all day.

I enter the room and Rick closes the door, I set my files on the desk in the middle of the office and drop down on the chair behind it. My equipment isn't here yet so might as well look through my email.