Chapter Three - Olympia's New Identity ✔

I froze, my mouth hanging wide open.

The first thing I saw was Dr. O with 20 other doctors in the room surrounding a stretcher. I pushed my way through, and saw something terrible. Doctors were testing her blood (I cringed when I saw the needles), taking her blood pressure, and doing C.P.R to try to revive her.

Dr. O said that Olympia had a concussion, and was in a coma. I felt the world stopping. I felt my world stopping. Sure, Olympia and I were only partners for a year, but we weren't just partners. We were best friends! We had so much in common. I felt like she was my younger sister that died four years ago. I didn't want to have to go through this all over again. It didn't seem real.

Just yesterday we were battling laser chickens; now, Olympia was battling for her life. It had already been four hours since Olympia got struck in the head by a laser chicken. I talked with Dr. O for a while, and she said that if Olympia wasn't giving any positive reactions by the next morning, we might have to take her to a real hospital.

After an hour of talking (and crying) with Dr. O, I went back to where Olympia lay silently, and lifted her limp body off the stretcher with my good arm. I hugged her for a long time, then I walked out of the room, where I again met Ms. O.

It was night, and she told me to go home and get some rest. It was a hard night, and I didn't sleep for long. I kept thinking back on what happened. If I didn't have this stupid fear of ducks, this never would have happened.

Was it all my fault?

We could have defeated the laser chickens and come back to HQ unharmed. I drifted off into a very troubled sleep, and unpleasant nightmares disturbed my sleep. The next morning I rushed over to HQ, anxious to see if Olympia had regained consciousness.

To my dismay, Olympia lay right where I left her the night before. She had a painfilled look on her deathly pale face. I wished I could take her pain away for her. Dr. O strode into the room with a somber look on her face.

"Good morning, Otis." She greeted.

"Good morning, Dr. O." I replied. "Anything new with Olympia?"

"Nothing. The strike from the laser chicken was fatal."

Fatal. I shuddered at that word. My blood ran cold.

"What do you mean, fatal?" I asked.

"She's going to be fine." I lied to myself.

Then, something caught my eye. I saw Olympia's eyelashes fluttering! I thought I was just seeing things, but then, I saw them again! I ran over to Olympia's bedside, and softly tapped her cheeks. Her eyes began to open, and she closed her eyes, smiling. After a second, she opened them back up with a start, a very confused look overcame her previously smiling face.

"Who are you?" She asked.

"Quit the jokes, Olympia!" I told her.

She was known for pulling a good joke on us every once and a while.

"Olympia? Who's Olympia? Who are you?"

I could always tell when she was kidding. Unfortunately, I detected only pure confusion in her words.

"Olympia, don't you remember who I am? It's me, Otis!"

I was feeling desperate, now. Olympia didn't know who I was? This was too weird. Dr. O ran over to Olympia.

"Olympia! Do you know who I am?"

"No. I don't even remember who I am."

"I'm Dr. O. The doctor here at odd squad."

"Dr. Who?"

"Wrong doctor." Doctor O sighed.

"What's odd squad?" Olympia asked.

"It's where you and I work. We're partners! Don't you remember?"

"Aren't we a little young to be working?"

Olympia wasn't kidding around, I knew. Ms. O, hearing the conversation in the donut room, came walking in.

"What's going on in here?" She asked.

"Olympia! You're okay!"

Ms. O ran over by us, and smiled the biggest smile I've ever seen.

"Who is she?" Olympia asked. "Why can't I remember anything?"

I knew I needed to earn Olympia's trust, and tell her... well... about herself.

"Hi." I began.

"My name is Otis. You're name is Olympia. We're trying to help you recover from an injury."

"I injured myself? How?" Olympia was so confused.

She had a disturbed look on her face, probably because she had no idea who we were.

"We were fighting laser chickens, and a chicken struck you in the head with a laser. That's probably why you don't remember anything."

"Why was I fighting laser chickens? It sounds like a lot of dangerous work."

"Right. We work for Odd Squad. It's a place where kids work to stop oddness all around the world. We're partners. Remember?"

Olympia shook her head. She was clearly thinking hard, but she couldn't remember. Dr. O and the other doctors knew that because she had been struck in the head by a laser, she now had a case of amnesia.

Dr. O and the other doctors were the only ones who could cure her. After a few hours, Dr. O brought a medicine bottle into the donut room.

"Here," she said, "is a bottle of medicine."

Olympia scrunched up her nose at the unpleasant scent.

"Do I have to?" She asked. "What will it do?"

"It is a medicine that will bring back your memory. At least, most."

Dr. O poured a small glass of it, then handed it to Olympia.

"This is the only way that you'll remember who you are. Please drink it."

"Dr. O?" I asked.

"Yes, Otis?"

I pulled her aside where Olympia couldn't hear us.

"Will this actually work?"

"Well, there's a chance. It will bring back the last thing she thought of to her memory. When she thinks hard on that, more memories will come back to her."

"But what if the last thing she thought of wasn't about her real life? Then she will think she's not herself."

"That's the chance we'll have to take."

Dr. O walked back over to Olympia, who had just drank the medicine.

"I don't remember anything yet." Olympia sighed, defeated.

"Give it a minute." Assured Dr. O.

Olympia concentrated so hard, you could tell that she was paying no attention to anything that was going on around her. Finally, she stopped thinking and smiled ear to ear, beaming!

I couldn't wait any longer. "Do you remember who you are now?"

"Yes! I know!" Olympia laughed. "I am Odd Odysseus!!!"