Chapter One - A Mission Gone Wrong ✔

A/N: Hey guys! Just so you all know, this story (unless otherwise written) is in Otis' POV. Hope you all enjoy!

"Olympia!!! Olympia!! Can you hear me??"

The entire week was terrible. My paperwork went missing, I had to volunteer at a duck shelter, and today Olympia and I were in the park battling laser chickens.

The only way we could win the fight was if we could dodge its lasers for a week, then the chickens would run out of laser power. Ocean was supposed to, but he was in Quebec visiting family.

It started out with just one laser chicken. By Tuesday, there were two. On Wednesday, there were four. By then, we knew that these were doubling laser chickens, and by the end of the week, there would be 64 chickens. We did fine dodging their lasers until Sunday night, when there were 32.

We were both exhausted, and then, on Monday morning there were ducks!! Now, I was fine with fighting off laser chickens, but with a flock of ducks, I freaked out!! I lost control of myself, and ran backwards. I tripped on the park bench and fell flat on my back. The wind knocked out of me, but I knew the chickens couldn't do anything to me because they couldn't fire lasers anymore.

Olympia started running across the park shouting:

"Otis! Are you okay?"

I couldn't say anything, so I slowly sat up, and nodded. She was still running, so fast that I thought she would run right into me and knock the wind out of me worse than the park bench did! I shouted to her to slow down.

"Olympia!" I shouted, regaining my voice.

"Slow down! Slow down!" Then, I lost my voice again.

Not because of Olympia knocking me over. No, this was much worse. Apparently, it wasn't a full week since we started fighting the laser chickens. When Olympia was only 10 yards away from me, a laser chicken hit her with a laser beam right in the head. Olympia fell to the ground with a thud, only one foot away from my two feet.

"Olympia!!! Olympia!! Can you hear me??"

I shook her motionless form, but got no response. i grabbed my badge phone with shaking hands, and I opened it. My emotions were so mixed up. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed. I tried convincing myself that this was all a nightmare; I just wished someone would wake me up.

I placed the badge phone to my ear, listening to the ring ring from the receiving end. Then, out of nowhere, a chicken shot a laser right at my badge phone. It fell to the ground, and I clutched my hand in pain. The laser chicken struck my hand a second time, and I realized that I couldn't move my hand. This made me freak out.

I had no way of contacting headquarters to get Olympia the help she needed. Then, I heard a familiar ringtone. I realized that Olympia's badge phone was ringing. I took it off of her uniform, and answered it.

"Olympia? Did Otis try to call me? He hung up! Tell him I want to speak with him." Ms. O shouted.

"Ms. O?" I stuttered. "Otis speaking."

"What's wrong?" Ms. O's tone changed drastically. "Why did you hang up?"

"Ms. O? I have some bad news."

"Didn't you hold off the chickens?"

"Yes, we did. They're harmless now. Security can pick them up at the park."

"Then, what's the bad news? Defeating laser chickens is great news!"

"I know, but the bad news is with Olympia."

"Olympia? What's wrong with Olympia?"

"A laser chicken just struck her in the head. She's unconscious."

I didn't hear anything on Olympia's badge phone for a few seconds, just muffled footsteps. Then I heard Ms. O shouting to O'malley to send the security team to the park.

O'Malley yelled "squishinating!"

And then Ms. O picked up the phone again with a very serious voice.

"The security team is on the way with help. Are you okay?"

"Well, I got hit in my hand. I can't move it, but it's not as bad as Olympia. See you back at headquarters."

I hung up, and placed her badge phone back onto her uniform. It took only a few moments for the security team to arrive, but it felt like a lifetime. I saw them running across the field, and it was relieving to see them take away the chickens. Owen and Ohio ran over to me with a stretcher and first aid.

"Otis!" Owen said with a shaky voice. "How did this happen?"

I told him what I told Ms. O, and he told me to help him get Olympia onto the stretcher while Ohio took her pulse and blood pressure. Dr. O wasn't far behind.

"We'll lift her up onto the stretcher on the count of three." Owen said. "One, two, three!"

"Owwwwww!" I screamed in terrible pain.

"What's the matter, Otis?" Ohio asked. 

Owen ran over to my side and grabbed my arm.

"A laser chicken hit it twice. I thought the pain would go away, but it didn't."

"I was talking about your head!" Ohio said.

"The back of it's  bleeding, and your lip is split open."

After they wrapped some gauze around my head, and disinfected my bottom lip, Dr. O came running across the field, and knelt by my side.

"What's wrong?" She asked, massaging my wrist.

"I got hit by a laser chicken in my hand twice. Owwwww!"

Dr. O tried popping it back into place, but nothing worked.

"Can you help Olympia? I realize that I'm hurt, but Olympia is-"

"I'm a doctor! Not a counselor!"

I realized that Dr. O said this not with anger in her voice, but with fright. I looked up at her, and figured that if Dr. O was freaking out, something very wrong had happened.

"I can't do anything for Olympia here." Dr. O admitted.

"What?" I shouted. "But you have to try something, please!! Olympia is my partner!"

"I know. We're transporting Olympia to headquarters where doctors from all Odd Squads will meet me. Maybe we can figure out a solution. I've just never dealt with this before. But, I have a patient in need of service, so I'll cut the chit chat."

Dr. O grabbed the medical tape and gauze, and started wrapping my hand in it. I winced at the terrible fiery pain, but I tried to be strong. After Dr. O had made me a cast, we headed back to headquarters.