[Miraxus] Bystanders

A/N: Hah! Finally did a Miraxus!

•   •   •

Swish, swish, swish...

Mirajane carefully wiped a glass as she stood behind the counter, basking in a rare calm within the Fairytail guild. She sighed in content. Natsu and Gray had finally taken their quarrel outside, and the rest of the guild had followed. Rather, the men and Cana followed while the women had been swept away.

As a matter of fact, only one other person was in the main hall. He sat with his back facing the counter, leaning on it from his seat. His eyes were closed and he was still.

Laxus.

Mirajane looked at him as he sat there, gently putting away the glass and grabbing another. She continued to stare as she swiped it down, a smirk evident on Laxus' face. Lord knew what he was thinking, but there was no way that he was asleep.

There were certain parts of his personality that would never change.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity - a short one, but an eternity none the less - Laxus opened his bright orange eyes. Almost instantly, they trailed over to look at Mirajane, who continued to silently observe him. His smirk seemed to widen, if possible.

"Enjoying the peace too, huh?" Laxus closed his eyes again.

"Hmm," Mirajane responded, "It's strange."

Laxus waited a moment to respond, "Well, that's true. I wonder why they chose to fight outside today..."

"Yes, but that's not what I meant." Mirajane grabbed another glass, turning her attention away from Laxus.

It was his turn to stare.

"Then what do you mean?" He shifted to face towards her.

She set down the glass with a slight clink. People began to file back into the guild, roudy and enthusiastic. Lisanna waved to her older sister from the other side of the hall.

"Well, what I mean is..." Mirajane moved closer so that he could her in the increasingly crowded guild, "That used to be us, you know? It's odd to think that we used to be like that."

"Really now?" Laxus rumbled a deep, hardy, laugh, "I suppose you're right, though I wouldn't say to the same degree."

Mirajane raised an eyebrow at this, and Laxus simply stared back.

"Not to the same degree?" she asked incredulously, "Surely, by that you mean worse?"

"It's unbecoming to speak so poorly of yourself," Laxus smoothly responded. Mirajane scowled at him as he observed a naked Gray and tempermental Natsu enter the guild. Lucy stumbled towards the bar, slumped over and disoriented.

"I am not speaking poorly of anyone. We just had our time, is all." Mirajane filled one of her freshly cleaned glasses with beer and handed it off to Wakaba, "It's strange how we're the bystanders now."

"Bystanders? No no, that word doesn't fit us at all. Especially considering how you were combative, and I was instigative."

"Laxus, you were a jerk," Mirajane's mouth twitched. She poked Laxus on the nose, "And I'm sure you still are, one way or another." Laxus grinned in response.

"Mira..." Lucy's head thunked on the counter, "They dragged me into it again..." she groaned loudly.

"Oh, Lucy," Mirajane smiled sweetly in her direction, "I'll be there in a second~"

She looked down to Laxus one more time, "I'll be back in a minute," she smiled playfully, "You big jerk."

"Mira..."