31

CELESTE MIDDLETON

The woman screamed, gasping as the vampire snatched at her hair, tugging and pulling relentlessly

The woman screamed, gasping as the vampire snatched at her hair, tugging and pulling relentlessly. He sniggered, pulling harder. Her head was as far as it could bend, her long, slender neck exposed. His breathing intensified, the pulse of her heart vibrating throughout his entire body, thumping life and urge into his dead being. He bent down, nuzzling her neck. She shuddered, thrashing against him wildly. No matter how much she struggled his vice grip never loosened; it only got tighter. The woman knew that if she lived, she would have some grisly bruises. If. 

"You smell so good, Celeste." The vampire purred, dragging his tongue along her bare skin. Salt greeted his taste buds, and he liked it.  His thirst was driving him insane, and he wanted to savour the terrified, feisty girl. "Don't worry, I'll take it slow."

The girl writhed beneath him, twisting her neck in all directions to avoid his razor teeth. He only laughed, enjoying seeing the girl try to squirm away from her impending fate. Her pulse was thrumming in his ears, driving his mouth down to clasp down at her neck. She let out a small whimper, hands patting at her pockets frantically. He paid no attention to her, the blood rushing through her veins blocking out the rest of the world. That's why he didn't notice the vial getting plunged into his hand before it was too late. 

The vamp screeched, stumbling away from the girl holding the empty vial proudly. She quickly flipped him the middle finger, grinning and ran off down the road shrouded by the night. She prayed that the vamp would be subdued long enough for her to get back to her car and grab a spare machete, as she had dropped hers in the scuffle. Her mind was too preoccupied to acknowledge the specks of lights in the distance getting brighter, or the low hum of an engine. The woman crossed the road, sprinting. 

She wasn't fast enough to avoid the car. 

Her body collided with the bonnet of the car, cracking the windshield in a spider web like pattern. The driver instantly stepped on the brakes, the sudden force of the stop making the woman roll off and sprawl onto the road. She laid there feeling as though all the bones in her body had shattered. The cool night made the woman even colder, the only source of warmth being the blood dripping down her face. 

Distantly, she heard a car door slam, and the repeated cries of 'oh no, what have I done?'. If she had the energy, the woman would've attempted to reassure the mystery driver but all her breaths had been stolen from her when the car attacked her. She could feel a presence beside her, who gently prodded at the side of her neck, checking for a pulse. Their fingers found the bite wound, and they quickly withdrew their hand. The woman could imagine the driver cringing at the slickness of the liquid. 

"You poor thing," the driver muttered. Their voice was light, and definitely feminine. Celeste moaned internally; the vamp had a preference for women. 

Celeste tried to warn the woman, but a small groan passed her lips instead. The woman instantly shushed her, grabbing Celeste's jaw and turning it slightly. The bite wound was on show in all of it's holey glory, and from the freshness of the blood she knew that it had happened recently. Paranoid, the woman snapped her head in all directions, shrugging off her jacket and laying it under Celeste's head.