01

FAMOUS LAST WORDS AND LIES

I'll see you later. 

Those words held no significance to anyone who didn't understand. To anyone who didn't know. They were the words you said when you promised to see someone again, without making it sound like you're that annoying clingy friend who needs to live their own life. They're the words you say when leaving someone behind, but knowing that you'll cross paths sooner or later. 

These words held massive significance to Ebony. They meant everything to her, and she had analysed them hundreds of times over in her head in each waking moment. The four words haunted her nights, forcing her eyes wide open, and making her brain be on high alert. She never thought one sentence of such simplicity could mean so much to one human being, could be the lifeline that keeps them hanging on by their jagged fingernails from the cliff they're about to fall from. 

I'll see you later. 

The missing posters went up a week after she left. 

I'll see you later. 

It was the promise of seeing her face again that kept her going through the weeks of dull, mundane duties. Ebony would sleep with her phone cuddled to her chest, in hopes that if she cradled it close enough, she would know that her friend was okay, and that her friend wouldn't forget to reply to the string of texts that had long blocked up their conversation. It was the faith that her friend would notice the voice mails she left when she once again didn't pick up the phone, and instantly call Ebony back with excuses that Ebony knew she would forgive the moment her angelic voice hit her ears. 

Sometimes, Ebony only called just to hear the voice message, so she couldn't forget the sweet melody that was her friends voice. Her vocals reminded her of a goddess.

Yet, with each call, the familiarity of the voice became less, until Ebony felt like a distant stranger accidentally phoning the wrong number. No matter how many hours she spent drinking in the details of the photos she had of her, she could no longer picture her friends radiant smile that seemed to light up the room, more powerful than any sun. 

I'll see you later. 

Those syllables drove Ebony crazy, tearing her hair out each time her friend didn't call up, text, Skype, FaceTime, email or send some crappy postcard from a crappy town. She slowly lost interest in the things that gave her great joy months ago; her Monopoly board gathered dust, her fan-fiction aged but didn't grow and her bookcase sagged. She just moved through life, already dead.

Three weeks after her being declared missing, Ebony ripped the posters down. 

I'll see you later - the famous last words, and lies, of Celeste Middleton. 

She didn't cry at the funeral. People stared at her concerned and wary, wondering why her best friend didn't even shed one tear or let out a tiny whimper. Ebony didn't believe in funerals; she thought of them as pointless and a way for people to make money pour out of your bank account at almost the same rate as the tears. She hated the fact that people wept over a coffin with nothing inside, just crying over a symbol that represented her long dead friend. Ebony didn't want symbols - she just wanted her friend back.