15

GUILTY PLEASURES

"What would you like?" A smooth voice asked, and Ebony dragged her eyes from the counter where she'd been staring at initials in it, CM, and wondering if it was her  who wrote it, to the woman

"What would you like?" A smooth voice asked, and Ebony dragged her eyes from the counter where she'd been staring at initials in it, CM, and wondering if it was her  who wrote it, to the woman. Ebony choked down a gasp at the heavenly sight. She was beautiful, with skin as dark as night and brown eyes that Ebony felt herself getting lost in, as though the woman was a maze, and Ebony needed to escape, but didn't want to. She shook her head, cursing herself. How could you so easily look at another woman so soon after Celeste? She bit at the inside of her cheek, punishing herself for indulging in guilty pleasures. 

"Um," Ebony stuttered, hands becoming sticky. "Can I have some Coca Cola? That's if you, uh, sell it." 

"You come into a bar and get an overpriced soda? Doesn't that kind of defy the point of coming in?" The woman asked amused, raising an eyebrow. Ebony didn't answer, too busy gawking at her. "How about this, we spice up your drink with a slice of lemon and an umbrella?"

"I'm not paying twenty cents for an umbrella," Ebony chuckled, twirling her hair subconsciously. 

The woman licked her lips, leaning over the counter and Ebony visibly gulped. She hadn't been attracted to someone in a long time, and she was lost as to what to do. "Maybe I can take your name as payment?" 

Ebony cleared her throat, pulling her hand from out of her pocket and putting it between them. "I'm Ebony Walters." 

She shook her hand tightly, "Rebecca Allen." 

Ebony was disappointed when Rebecca removed her hand from hers, and smiled to cover it up. Sometimes Ebony worried that she had gotten too good at pretending. 

"So, what brings you here Ebony?" Rebecca questioned, leaning down and grabbing a can of soda from the fridge behind her. Ebony tried to look everywhere but her as she bent down. 

"I'm here with a few friends." She wanted to keep her answers subtle, to try and put distance between them. It wasn't working: she already felt herself pulling towards her. 

"They must be great friends, abandoning you at the bar." 

She watched as Rebecca poured the drink into the glass, staring intently as she cut up some lemon. "They've got a lot on their minds, I thought it would be good for them to chill out for a few hours. I don't mind." 

"That's nice of - agh crumbs!" Rebecca cried out as the knife slipped, slashing at her skin. She dropped the knife and stuck her finger in her mouth, cheeks hollowing whilst she sucked. 

 "Are you okay?" Ebony quickly stood up from the stool, knocking it over with a bang carelessly. Eyes flew across the room, praying for it to be the start of a fight, returning to their drinks when they realised it was just a clumsy girl. 

"I think I am." She took her finger out of her mouth with a pop, waving it around. "Didn't help when I got lemon juice in it." 

"Ouch, let me look at it."