19

APOLOGIES, BACK-STORIES AND VANILLA MILKSHAKES

Ebony wandered to Dean's room, scuffing her foot on the floor

Ebony wandered to Dean's room, scuffing her foot on the floor. She wasn't in the mood for apologising, and for making some bullshit 'I'm broken' or 'I'm your friend' kind of excuse. At times she wished she'd just get this vengeance thing over with, blurt it out to them and see how they react. Then kill them. 

Yet she needed him on her good side, mainly because she needed a ride to her date. She knew there wasn't any point in asking Dean if she could take the car, as she already knew the answer. This was the best thing she could get. 

Swallowing her pride, she tapped on the door. "Dean?" 

The music from inside lowered, and she suddenly thought if this was what he was like as a teenager, listening to eighties rock and being moody. Imagining him as a child was difficult for her; she couldn't see him as being innocent. Her thoughts were cut off when the door opened a crack, and Dean's face appeared in it. "What do you want?" 

"To apologise." His eyebrows rose. "Yes, I'm sacrificing my bad ass reputation to come here and tell you," she choked on the words, the two words refusing to come out of her throat. She cleared her throat, trying again. "I'm so sorry that you can't understand me." 

Dean opened the door fully, the creak breaking the tense silence. He leaned on the doorway, smirking. "That was the crappiest apology I've ever heard. In fact, that wasn't even an apology." 

"Give me a break, I'm trying here!" She whined, building up her confidence. In a hurry, she rushed the painful words out. "I'msorrythatIwasanass." 

Dean's eyebrows folded in on each other, and he cupped his hand around his ear, as though he couldn't hear anything. "Sorry, I didn't quite catch that."

"You're such an ass," she playfully hissed. Taking a deep breath, she forced the words out. "I'm sorry that I was an ass, you didn't deserve it. I was kind of cranky." 

"Is there a reason for this said crankiness?" 

"I'll tell you, but can I come in? I feel extremely awkward in this hallway, as though I'm your one night stand trying to break it to you that I'm pregnant."

His stony expression broke, and he let a small smile pass over his face. "Sure." He stepped aside, allowing Ebony to get in. "Welcome to my man cave."

She pretended to goggle at everything, as though it was her first time drinking in his room. She'd remembered all of the small details of his room, and nothing had changed since the time she came in last. Even the beer bottle was in the same place. Nodding towards the bed, he shrugged, "Knock yourself out, it doesn't have bed bugs. That I know of." 

"Thanks for telling me that, I think I'll just stick to standing." She crossed her arms, her feet going numb. She hoped it wouldn't take long, she wanted as much time as possible to get ready for her date.