Birthday Party

Começar do início

From where I'm seated, I can view a bunch of children of different ages running around a backyard along with adults standing by the sidelines, who are chatting with each other near the house. To my disappointment, the screams were not in terror, but in joy. A banner hanging on the back porch informs me that this is a child's eighth birthday party, which was unexpected.

'Such a shame. I would've preferred a massacre.' I sigh softly as I watch two boy's fighting over a toy, tugging it back and forth between them to judge who'd be strong enough to pull it towards them. I suppose the winner would get to either keep or play with the object.

'I hope it breaks before either can win.' A smirk comes to my face at the thought. Their tears would be delightful. In my opinion, though, this whole thing has been a waste of energy, but at least I now have some form of entertainment while I wait to heal a little more. My attention is soon brought to a little girl with H/C hair and sparkling, E/C eyes, who exits through the back door of the house to enter the yard with a cheerful smile on her face.

Following close behind her is a man and a woman of an older age. I immediately assume they're her parents, for that was quite likely. My attention stays on the little one, though. I continue watch the events of the party take place from my perch for the rest of the day. It turns out that E/C eyed child is the birthday girl, and honestly, it was amusing to watch her play around with others and sloppily eat her cake.

It actually wasn't as boring as I thought it would be. Now the guests have all left, and only the little girl remains in the yard, while her parents say goodbye to the last to leave. She's currently seated on a porch swing while folding a piece of paper into the shape of an airplane. She had received a notebook earlier as one of her numerous presents and used its lined sheets as materials. Once she's done with it, she throws it high in the air, where the wind takes and carries it over towards me.

I duck down before she could look my way, causing me to wince. Sudden movements aren't exactly ideal in my current condition. Thankfully, I had transformed a few hours ago, so my ears are not poking out over the bushes. I was beginning to feel drained, so, I changed into a body that wouldn't use as much energy as my other. Now I look more like Shadow without his ears, tail, and spines, though, the remembrance of the edgy male only makes me feel worse about my defeat. I had been so close; I still can't believe I didn't win.

I see the paper land beside me before hearing a faint sigh. It was light and sad, nearly inaudible, but I caught it. Cautiously, I peer over the bush and find that the girl is now heading inside. I'm not sure what compelled me to do it, but I grabbed the paper airplane and threw it towards the female. The page hits the back of the child's head with a light tap, causing her to stop in her tracks and raise a hand towards the spot it touched.

The plane falls to the ground, and the girl looks down at it in surprise. Slowly, she bends down and picks it up before looking around to find who threw it. When her eyes nearly reach me, I duck down again with another wince. I raise my head again after hearing a sliding door shut. I sigh softly in relief upon seeing that she had entered the house.

'That was close.' I gaze up at the sky and find that the sun is slowly beginning its descent. In another hour or two it will be night again. That party certainly was long, but I'm glad, since it had taken my mind off the pain. Deciding to rest for a bit, I carefully lie down in a comfortable position before closing my eyes.

However, I was left unaware that I've captured the little girl's attention.