Chapter 11

Junkook was roaming around the city, deep in thought. He could not believe what they were saying. But the headlines were not lying. There was no more light in his eyes, no trace of life whatsoever. His feet took him to all the places he used to visit with you. Your favorite cake shop on the corner of the street was crowded, just like always. You two used to come here every weekend and fight over what ice-cream flavor or cake to buy. And then you would sit at a remote table, the only one that seemed to be free most of the time, and enjoy your dessert while playing rock paper scissors for the tastiest parts. The employees began to know you and free drinks were always provided. You were the cutest couple out there.

Jungkook passed by it with his head hidden under the black hoodie and headed towards the place you used to live in before moving with him in a new, bigger apartment close-by. You have been a couple for six months when you decided to take that step. Jungkook would come by your place often, mostly at night, but would never stay. He would always say it was not the time yet which got you confused. Weren't girls supposed to say that? Or maybe he had other reasons.

He knocked at the door. He hoped to see you open it, even if it did not make any sense. He heard footsteps approaching. His eyes pooped and his heart started racing in anticipation. That was it. You have made it out alive from the crash somehow and you came back to your old apartment. His eyes were trembling. He heard the lock and saw the door opening.

"Who are you?" An old woman was looking at him with confused eyes.

"Um-I am sorry, I thought-. Never mind, I must have made a mistake."

"Are you looking for someone?"

"Excuse me for bothering you so late at night. If it's not too much to ask, would you please tell me if you've seen this girl around here?"

He took out his phone and showed her a photo of you two. You were both smiling like the whole world was yours and nothing could bring you down. You were hugging Jungkook while one of his arms rested on your shoulders, just like a beautiful young couple. It was from your first and only trip that you took together to the seaside one year ago. It took you a few months of savings to be able to afford it, but it was totally worth it. You spent the most relaxing and exciting three days of your summer there. You became everyone's most cherished couple in no time. You two just had this aura that made people admire and envy your relationship. You were the type of couple that acted like kids a moment and then talked about really serious things the next. You both loved swimming and would spend most of your day playing in the waves. At night, you would take long walks on the beach while holding hands and then find a good spot to sit on the sand and look at the stars. That was the only time you saw Jungkook being fully relaxed.

"No, I haven't seen here. I'm sorry, young man."

"I see...I'm sorry for bothering you. Have a good night!" He bowed and vanished into the dark.

He walked around the park and into the direction of the apartment you moved in together three weeks before everything happened. It has been a long while since he has last been there. His hope started to fade but he was clinging strongly onto that last thread. Maybe you would be there. It was the place where you actually spent all day together, where he proposed to you, it was your home.

After Jungkook left Namjoon's group, he did his best not to be discovered by either him or Yoongi. Although the latter was definitely a bigger threat after he found out Jungkook was still alive. Betrayal was a real deal for Yoongi. He knew he was after him and you were both in danger. That is why he used to refuse going to a lot of dates outside of your apartment. There was one time you got really angry and upset because of it. It was around your birthday and you wanted to go out and celebrate just like normal people. You never had a proper birthday party and you planned so much for this one that when he told you he was not going, it broke your heart. It was one of your biggest quarrels. You started asking questions you hid deep inside for a while like why he was refusing to go, why he only came to your place late at night, why he avoided popular places and so on. Seeing him not giving you exact answers made you even more angry. Why was it to your benefit to know less? What or who was he hiding away from? Nothing. That is when you started crying and hitting him, screaming for him to just go. It pained him even more to see you like this. That was clearly not what he intended but you needed to understand it was for your own good.