Chapter 2

Sandra

Victoria wasn’t aware that I was just behind her, following her as she walked down the street. There was something weird about her. She was walking fast as if she was running late or something; and it forced me to take long strides just to not lose her out of my sight. 

Moments later, I saw her turn to an alleyway and there was a two-story building standing in front of me. It was a place that wasn’t at the top of my list I’d like to spend my time at. Its walls were filled with graffiti, as if it was a place for thugs and rebellious people. Just thinking that Victoria was inside of it, gave me the creeps.

What in the world was she doing here, in this kind of place?!

When I walked inside, the lighting was dim. I could barely see the faces of the people around me. And it seemed like my eardrums were going to burst because of the loud music that was blasting in the background. The air in the room smelled like cigarette smoke and beers. 

In this time of the day, it was already filled with people. Most of them are big guys with creepy tattoos on their arms. There were even girls my age, who wore heavy make-up and they were smoking pot. 

I turned my eyes everywhere as I tried to look for Victoria. But because of my short size, plus the fact that there were too many people surrounding me, I couldn’t even manage to see her.

“Hey there sexy.” said a bald guy with a big cobra tattoo on his right arm. He was wearing a black leather jacket and ripped denim jeans. 

I ignored him by walking away from him, praying that he wouldn’t follow me. I let my eyes roam around, looking for Victoria again.

“Want a drink?” a guy with a funny haircut asked me.

“No thanks.” I said, trying to push him off me. His warm breath smelled heavily of beer and I didn’t like it.  

I kept looking around until I saw a girl with a familiar mane of long blonde hair, sitting alone in a stool with a drink on her hand. 

“Victoria,” I called her and when she turned around there was a surprised look on her face after seeing me. 

She wasn’t Victoria.

“What?!” the blonde girl frowned at me. 

“Uhm, S-sorry. I thought, you were my friend. Sorry again.”

I started to turn the other direction, away from the girl, when suddenly, I bumped into someone.

“Aw! Shit!” I whined when an alcohol was poured on my shirt from the collision. 

“Sandra?!” A voice called me and it was so familiar that I recognized easily. 

When I looked up at the girl standing in front of me, my blood started to heat up. Victoria.

“Sandra, what are you doing here?!”

“I should be the one asking you that, Victoria. What in the world are you doing in this kind of place?!” I asked her, driving off the urge to drag her out of this place. She smelled like beer and smoke.

“I-I was... hanging out with my friends.” she replied, without even trying to look me in the eyes. 

I glanced over her shoulders, as I tried to look for the friends she was talking about.

“Why are you here, Sandra?” Victoria asked me again. 

 I took Victoria’s wrist, ignoring the frown on her face and just pulled her out of the crowd as I tried to look for a better place to talk, away from the loud music banging on our ears. Luckily, I found a spot at the back corner of the bar where the music was less audible.