Chapter 33: A Sudden Turn

Start from the beginning

Isla quieted her concerns. Lucifer understood the situation far better than she would, or ever could. She had to trust his decision.

They rushed through the main street, swerving between crowds. The brush of limbs and clothing swished past her. She pinpointed her attention on the outer wall confining the city. Was there a barrier? There had to be. The subtle prick nesting upon stagnant air streams provided the only indicator. Without direction, she would never have discovered the demonic energy.

They arrived at the thick walls, tan blocks layered to form the height. No gate blockaded the path, but the stationed soldiers inspected the flow. Their bare arms and plain black leather armor molded against their bodies. Spots of silken fur blotched their exposed skin, one grayish the other speckled brown.

"We won't be long," Lucifer voiced. His words cooled the soldiers' rigid stances.

Stepping from ash crusted stones to orange compacted sand, the barren wasteland unfolded before her. Heat radiated from the surface, each foot crossed, a higher intensity she faced.

"Come here," Lucifer urged as he stopped and waited for her.

Isla reached him, a comfortable distance between them. He removed a glove, cupping her face, his warm fingers delicate upon her skin.

"You're worrying more for me than yourself. Take care," Isla said.

He chuckled, but sadness swarmed his smile. "All is fine. Let us meet again, dear."

The distinct outline and colors constructing Lucifer's shape pulled apart. The lines severed, their ends frayed and the colors blended, whirling the landscape into a vortex. Her mind crammed the visual phenomena, the information overloading her mind. She had no choice. Isla clenched her eyes shut, damming the sensual flow.

Yet, the disorder continued, amplifying to her body, interrupting her balance and sense of self. She swayed, fumbling for support. Her skin chilled then heated, the temperature change numbing then blistering. But still, the quick fluctuation ended as it began, and her equilibrium returned.

Isla peeked open, the colors and shapes had recreated themselves. The red sky and barren wasteland of the Underworld transformed into a dazzling blue sky. Clouds sprinkled the wide expanse, leaving a halo to announce the single star which brightened this world.

She was back. Back in Arcadia.

Scanning her surroundings, her gaze traveled up the white cement walls casting shadows upon her. Had she been returned to Erose? How did Lucifer determine her prior location? She had not mentioned meeting the Queen here. But his assumption was precise.

She glanced both ways. Neither direction identified an entrance. Well, one way or another, she would run into a gate.

Turning around, she examined the ash woodland saturated with blue treetops. The south entrance had woods, but not this close. Perhaps the northern end?

"Left or right," she mused. Isla pointed one direction then the next. "Oh, whatever." She dropped her hand, stepping forward.

Her advance ceased and her gut twisted. Her skin perspired, the hairs astute. Something was here. Was bloodlust what she felt, or her own fear?

She twisted around, searching for her discomfort. Her eyes skimmed the woods, seeking the cause within the elusive depths. What pricked her senses? The feeling enlarged upon the woods, the source hidden but radiating this desire.

The purpose eluded her as a speck of red shot from the woods. Her aura seeped out, forming a barrier before her.

The red blaze pounded her shield, the blow heavy, but bearable. She watched the spell fizzle, the aura dissipating.

She applied another protective measure and pooled her aura into her hand, fueling an offensive spell.

Her eyes enlarged as the dark canopy revealed her foe. From the woods, strode Skye. No twitch or nuisance warped his face, his stone mask cemented.

Her fingers numbed. The mere sight of him spurred her hesitation. Attack or wait? No, forget it. Remember what he did. Because of him, Rydin died. Skye shared responsibility for his death.

Isla clenched her teeth then released the force. Relax, remove the tension. Her own weaknesses were responsible. Rather, this situation presented the perfect chance to surmount her earlier failures. What was the worse outcome, death? Not the first time.

She muted her indecision and concentrated. With her hand, she formed and directed thick shards of ice, blasting him.

He stepped left, dodging, his speed slow but timed. The motion weaved into his movements, his pace never slowing.

Isla conjugated waves of ice, the quantity, and ferocity amplifying with each strike. She spelled earthen restraints for his legs, coupling her attacks. But Skye shrugged the encasement off and advanced.

As he deflected her last wave, he spoke, "Is that all?"

Sweat moistened her face and she panted. "What do you want?" Isla growled. Did he plan to eradicate her hope by countering and defending against her efforts? Only after everything, would he then kill her?

"He has summoned you."

His gaze shifted away, leaving himself vulnerable. What an odd sight. Was he hiding something or displeased?

Isla narrowed her eyes. "Why?"

Skye returned his gaze. "He wishes to speak to you. Why else?"

"Oh, of course, I'd love to see my murderous father," she drawled. "Do you honestly think I'd say that? Why for a God-forsaken reason should I agree?"

"You don't have a choice." He crossed his arms, stance widening. "Or has some meager victory made you believe you could defeat me," he retorted. "With your pathetic skills."

"Pathetic skills or not, it won't be quick nor easy. You start fighting here and the Arcadians will trounce you. Or do you believe you're superior to an army?"

He could be right for all she cared. Not that she would admit it. But times had changed, and dying without a fight sounded like a bore. Isla shifted her stance, ready to launch herself at him. One strike to his face would prove encouraging. Heck the sweet memory would last an eternity.

"Start fighting? I have no need to fight you. If you don't come, I'm ordered to kill your sisters," he stated. "Make your choice."