Chapter Five

Sam's POV

Morning came quicker than anticipated. I woke up as the first light of day fell upon my face, bathing everything in golden light. I was sure ____ wasn't up yet, so I thought it best to be quieter when I went downstairs. I ran my hands through my hair, it falling in place at my will, and slipped on my flannel.

Peeking in Dean's room, I saw that he was passed out face down on his bed, the covers beneath him. I shook my head, continuing past his room.

As I made my way downstairs I heard a noise coming from the kitchen, and, being the curious person I am, decided to investigate. I snuck into the kitchen, carefully keeping my gin at the ready. However it only turned out to be ____. I relaxed significantly and walked up to her, looking over her shoulder. She seemed to be digging through her cupboards, looking for something.

"What's up?" I asked, leaning against the counter. She jumped slightly, but soon relaxed and stood up, quickly shutting the cupboard with her foot.

"Nothing..." Then she paused. "Well actually maybe you can help."

I smiled at the idea of helping her, knowing that would definitely make me look good.

"Sure, what do you need?" I asked. She glanced around nervously for a second, before leaning in closer.

"Well before I- I mean, before the shifter attacked me, it asked me where the secret was. But see the thing is, I don't know. I want to find it before the shifter comes back," She explained. I nodded in understanding, rubbing the back of my neck as I racked my brain for possible hiding places. This was perfect, if we found the secret- whatever it was- we could lure the shifter out and kill it.

We split up to cover more ground, thoroughly searching every nook and cranny of the old house for anything that could possibly be supernatural. While in the middle of searching, Dean stomped down the stairs, grumbling a greeting to me and heading into the kitchen. Probably for coffee.

And then it struck me. If someone hid something in this house that a shifter wanted, it would probably be hidden with silver. Notified ____ about it and she nodded, adjusting her searching.

It seemed to take forever, the day dwindling fast as my morale began to decline. I wanted to ask Dean to help, but everyone of my attempts was met with him turning his music louder or chewing more obnoxiously. I gave up trying to wrangle in his help, and kept looking.

I was about to walk into the basement, my last search, when ____ suddenly stopped me. She jumped in between me and the door, blocking me. I raised an eyebrow.

"I-I already checked down there. Nothing but old yearbooks and photos!" She exclaimed, grinning. I was suspicious of her behaviour but let it go, knowing I could look after she had gone to sleep.

She instead directed me to the library. "I found this." She waved toward a little box sitting on a shelf. It looked to be silver and intricately designed, a show of excellent craftsmanship.There was not an obvious obvious keyhole or lock, just a box. I picked it up.

"Did you try to open it?" I asked, looking at her. She nodded.

"I tried, but I was unable to get it open. It was too hard," She explained. I set my hand on it, testing how hard it was to open. It wasn't hard at all, and by now my suspicions were growing like a wildfire. I tried to hide it though, and pretended to be unable to open it as well.

"Damn... I better take this to my room and try and figure out how to open this thing," I said, slipping it into my jacket. The box was just smaller than my hand, so it was a stretch to fit it in my jacket, but it eventually worked.

"Guess I'll be heading to bed then, long day. See you tomorrow," She said, waving. "And don't forget to try and open the box! I really wanna see what's in it!" And then she was gone. I quietly made my way up to my room. I sat on my bed, a single lamp illuminating the room and casting odd shadows around. I ignored them though, and opened the box.

Inside the box was a slip of paper, and as I read it, I felt a scorching fear burn in my heart.