Chapter Forty-One: And That Is Why My Mother Is The Way She Is....

For the next two hours we spent making dinner. I finished the steaks and let them sit for a little bit while pulling out sweet potatoes and wrapping them up in foil. They were placed in the oven to cook. Dalton wanted a vegetable rice to go along with it instead of just a can of corn. I didn't know how to make what he was talking about, so he went ahead himself to make it. While he was doing that, I went out to the back porch to the grill with the steaks on a plate.

I waited ten minutes for the grill to heat up and during that time I looked out to the backyard. It was well kept because of the landscapers my mother would have come around every month or so. I could remember the days back when I was a child and when my dad was still alive. We used to spend a lot of time doing things together and most that time was spent in the huge backyard we had. He taught me how to play soccer, baseball, and football in his free time. In my little mind, it was fun because my dad loved the sports. He used to be in those sports back in high school.

Though, my school it was hard for me to be in those sports. There was always others better them me who got the spot while I was cut from the sport. Soccer was almost impossible to get into, softball was the same way, and then football wasn't something I would do but I would watch it.

"The rice is done," Dalton came out to the porch with a glass of soda in his hand.

"Well I just put the steak on, that'll be about twenty to thirty minutes." I spoke nodding over to the grill. Dalton nodded while coming closer to where I was and rested his elbows on the railing. He sat the glass to the side.

"What were you thinking about?"

"Stuff," I answered.

"Come on tell me, I thought we were comfortable with talking about anything to each other."

"My dad," I told him finally.

"I'm guessing he isn't around anymore?"

"Nope, he passed away when I was seven."

"I'm sorry," He spoke and I shook my head.

"No, you don't need to be sorry. He died what he loved doing. I don't want any sympathy, I've already went through that stage." I told him and he nodded his head lightly.

"What happened to him?"

"A bomb got him while he was on his third tour in the Army," I explained and his eyes widened when he heard that.

"Your dad was a military man?" I nodded to his question, "Wow, that's amazing. I didn't expect your father to be like that. I mean, your mother...I expected someone..."

"More her type?" I questioned and he nodded slowly.

"I don't mean to be rude about it," He explained and I gave him a soft smile.

"It's fine. Surprise my mother used to be a lot nicer back in those days. She and my father were perfect together and so happy with one another. My dad and I used to do a lot together; like baseball, soccer, camping, fishing, and he even taught me how to fight when I was little. Peaches was more into the stuff that my mother used to do; which was modeling. Then everything started to turn when he passed away. My mother was more focused into Peaches's starting career as a child model and she started to ignore me like I did something wrong. As the years went by it became worse and worse. I was becoming used to it as it continued," He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and gave me a hug that made me smile.

"You'll never be ignored by me," He kissed my temple.

"I know," That made me bubble up with happiness. "I love you."

"I love you too love."