Chapter Thirteen: My Hair Is Up But My Nerves Are On The Down Low.

I slept a little easier that night knowing that I didn't have to worry about money problems. Thanks to Dalton's very kind gesture that night. He left about an hour and a half after the kiss because I knew that my mother and sister would be home soon. We didn't want to cause a scene with them, so he left early. Though during that time he had taken off his boots and curled up in bed with me. I enjoyed the cuddle that brought me so much comfort. The attention that he gave me was something that my life was missing and it meant so much. Before him, everyone, besides a few, would ignore me. Even those few weren't enough. I still felt alone in the world, but with Dalton. He made me feel like I was someone important. I felt special and loved with him. That was something I didn't want to let go.

            My mother and sister returned sometime late in the night.

            Peaches was able to get her dress fixed by the seamstress and was so happy about it. I stayed in my room as I heard the two gush over the dress like it was brand new and like nothing has happened to it. What they didn't know was that I wasn't scared and upset anymore. Dalton was able to make me happy and relaxed again.

            I owed him so much.

            So I told him I wasn't going to chicken out of the dance. He was more than happy to hear about that and told me that that was just exactly what he wanted to hear from me.

            Over the next couple days my life was like normal except for the fact that my mother and sister were hard on me because of the whole dress problem that had happened. Dalton has seen me almost every day at the diner when I worked and afterwards later the night he would text or call me and we would have a conversation that would last for hours. I enjoy those moments because we got to know each other and I was truly happy during that time.

            Jasmin kept tweaking at the dress and suits so that they were flawless for the dance. She was more excited than Dalton, Charlie, and I were of the dance. She couldn't wait to place me in the dress and get me ready. She keeps talking about it to her son and how happy she is that he found someone like me. In Dalton's words, it sounds like she's already planning out our lives together. It was flattering and would make me red to the face at the thought of Dalton and I being together for the rest of our lives.

            It doesn't sound so bad if it wasn't for the fact that we've only know each other for a little over a month. Though as cheesy as it sounds...it feels like it's been longer than that. We've been talking almost every day for hours on end. It's like we got three months' worth of conversation squished into one. 

            Yeah, I know it sounds a little stupid. Though that was how I felt at the moment.

            "My mother has always wanted a daughter," Dalton spoke from across the kitchen counter. Jasmin rolled her eyes at her son and continued to play around with my hair. It was early in the morning and I was awoken by my mother and sister gushing and gossiping about the dance that would be starting in the afternoon. They didn't even bother me and left the house to get their hair, make-up, and nails done down at a salon. 

            "Well, that's what I was expecting while pregnant with you. Surprise, surprise, it was a boy." I came to Dalton's house after they left. I placed a note on the kitchen table saying that I was covering a double shift at the diner and wouldn't be back till late. My mother never cared if I was at work, but if she knew of the truth. I don't know what she would do. I knocked on the door and Dalton answered. I almost drooled at the sight of him only wearing a pair of grey gym shorts and a black muscle shirt. It was something different from the attire that I would see on him. I felt a little over dressed compared to him in a pair of jean shorts and nice white top.