Epilogue

Epilogue

"We've been living here for five years now," I took a deep breath, "But it's been a good five years."

"Mommy are the walkers still here?"

"No sweetheart," I smiled pulling him closer, "The walkers haven't come close in a long time. Beside if they did uncle Aaron and Eric would protect us."

"What about Dadda?"

"You're Dadda is the strongest bravest man in the world, he protected us all the time. Your Dadda saved Mommy even when I didn't want to be saved."

"That's for sure."

"Daddy!"

Zander jumped off my lap and ran over to Daryl, who kneeled down and lifted our son into his arms. Holding him close.

"How's my boy?" Daryl asked.

"Good, mommy was telling me stories about the walkers."

"I thought we weren't going to scare him?" Daryl stepped forward as I stood up.

"I was telling him the truth," I smiled.

"I'm not scared," Zander snapped, "I'm like Dadda, I'm a big boy and I want to protect mommy like you."

Both Daryl and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Just like his father."

All of the sudden there was a loud cry. I was about to turn when Daryl put Zander down.

"I got it," he smiled.

He reached the cot and pulled out a small bundle.

"Hey bubby," he smiled, "Dadda's got cha."

Zander reached my side and I lifted him up.

"Mommy do I keep Em save like Dadda protects you?"

"Yes you do," I kissed his forehead, "Bed time buddy."

I laid Zander down in his bed and tucked him in while Daryl did the same for Emma. Zander fell asleep the moment I turned around and Emma did too.

I stopped there for a moment and just looked at our two babies, lying sound asleep and I was grateful.

"You ok babe?" Daryl wrapped an arm around me and held me close.

"Yeah just can't believe how lucky we've been."

"We fought for it Char," Daryl replied kissing my cheek, "And I'll keep fighting for it. Come on time for bed."

He grabbed the baby monitor and walked to the door. I followed behind him and grabbed the door handle. The walkers were still out there. They weren't gone. They were still a threat. We've lost a lot of people but gained many more along the way. Daryl was right, we fought hard for what we've got, and we'll keep fighting to the end to keep it.