E l e v e n

BLAKE

I wasn't really sure what the hug in the hall really meant. It lasted for about three to four minutes.

After that, we broke apart, and headed to math class. It wasn't really the first time I've hugged a boy.

I didn't even know that I could enjoy some other person's affection. Especially if he's tall, and cute, and...

"Blake!" Mrs. Smith's voice yells, and knocks me out of my trance.

"Yes?" I say, sitting up straight.

"I asked you a question. Do you need me to repeat it for you?"

"Yes, I do."

"'Determine all complex number z that satisfy the equation: z + 3 z' = 5 - 6i where z' is the complex conjugate of z?'" She reads from the book.

I write down the problem in my notebook while figuring it out in my mind. "Let z = a + bi , z' = a - bi ; a and b real numbers. Substituting z and z' in the given equation obtain: a + bi + 3*(a - bi) = 5 - 6i, a + 3a + (b - 3b) i = 5 - 6i 4a = 5 and -2b = -6, a = 5/4 and b = 3 z = 5/4 + 3i."

"Correct. Please pay attention the first time, Blake."

I nod, and slouch in my seat as she continues the lesson. Mia taps my shoulder, and I turn to look at her. "Can Lexie, Tara, and I come over today? At your house. We have nothing planned for the weekend."

"I have nothing planned either, so yes. You could come."

She smiles, and mouths a thank you before we both continue our work.

"Alright, I've assigned pages 345 through 348. Problems 23 to 67. Have a wonderful weekend, and spring break." Mrs. Smith announces as the bell rings.

All of us stand up, and walk out the classroom. Lexie and Mia are walking by my side, then Gabriel and two of his friends sprint up to us, and Gabriel rests his arm on my head. I really wish I was taller.

"Hey, girls

"Hey, girls." He smiles.

"Hello." I greet back as my newfound friends do so too.

"These are my friends, Beck and Jake. I can't walk you home, sorry. We're going to practice after school, beautiful."

"Why'd you need to tell me, exactly?" I ask, giving a confused smile.

"Because I love you, of course." He exclaims.

We all stop walking, and almost everyone turned to stare at us while we stare at each other. He said it loudly, I could immediately feel my face heating up.