O n e

Ten Years Earlier

"Blake, come down! Your mother and I have a surprise for you!" I hear my father call out from the bottom of the staircase.

I was playing with my two stuffed animals, a lion and tiger, two types of African cats. "Coming!" I call back, cheerfully.

I drop my toys, and hurry down the stairs, and into the living room where my parents were. On the glass coffee table there were cupcakes. They were holding a somewhat large box. "Happy seventh birthday, Blake!" My father sang. My mother smiled wide, and clapped loud. My ten year old brother, Vincent, was sat on the floor holding his stuffed koala.

I smiled, showing my teeth and everything. "You guys remembered!" I smile.

"Of course we did, darling." My mother sounded so peaceful, peaceful as a snowflake.

My father handed me the gift wrapped box, and I politely took it from him. I opened it, and there it was. The white violin I've wanted for a time now.

They actually bought it. They said that they didn't have the time since my mother was unstable, and we were tight on money at the time. We've been back on track for awhile now.

I took the violin out of its black case, and I touch it slightly. The brand-new smell gathered in my nose. "Thank you." I say, softly, trying to hold in all my excitement.

"You're welcome, darling." She replied in a sweet tone, while ruffling Vincent's hair.

We all stood together, and went into a group hug. We looked like a normal, perfect family.

Wrong. My mother has cancer, but she's been stable for a while. But who knows how long we have left with her..

We broke our little group hug, and my mother offered to take us all to the mall or restaurant. We agreed a restaurant, Red Lobster to be precise.

After our meal we went home, and watched Disney movies. Vincent and I fell asleep through it, and we were carried to bed by our father.

That was how I spent my seventh birthday.

A week later, my mother died after battling cancer for about four years.

At least in those weeks I got to spend time with her. I remember her last words to me. "Don't worry, Blake. It won't be to long until you're surrounded by people. You'll always be my little ray of sunshine, no matter what. Now hurry up, and go on to bed. I love you."

"I love you too, mom." I said, hugging her. She kissed my forehead, and stroked my hair.

The next day my mother never woke up, and was rushed to the hospital. They, unfortunately, couldn't do anything.

That's the last time I ever saw, and spoke to my mother.

Vincent wouldn't stop ignoring me. He wouldn't talk to me as much, even if I tried to start a conversation. .

That's when I started to become distant with my family.

That's when I stopped socializing with people, and focused only on my studying.

I guess I couldn't stand my mother being gone. I changed my perspective of the world.