F i v e

We're walking side by side, and talking. Who knows about what, I'm not paying much attention. All I wanted to know was why the popular boy was walking with me, and took an interest in me.

"Where do you live, anyway?" Gabriel asks.

"We just need to take a left then walk straight. It's not that hard to notice." I give into his conversation.

"How is it not hard to miss?"

"Well, it's the only house on our street that's house is made of grayish sand-colored bricks. Plus, our lawn is cleaner." I shrug.

"I'll make sure to take note of that when I come over." I glance at him and he's smirking.

Does he really think we're going to be friends? I don't like people, and I'm not interested in starting now.

Just when I'm about to say something, a dumb driver speeds by, throwing his water out the window, and it splashes onto my shirt.

"Are you serious?!" I groan in frustration.

He stares at me, and a faint pink appears in his cheeks as he chuckles. "Yeah, what a real shame."

"What?"

"Just a reminder, when white shirts get wet, they become quite translucent. Nice bra." He starts laughing out.

I look down onto my shirt, and the color in my face flushes. "Don't look!" I yell at him as I cross my arms over my chest.

He holds onto his stomach as he continues to burst into laughter. A tear forms in the corner of his eye.

Our arms brush as we reach my home. "Well this is it." I say, glad that this is over.

"What do you mean? I'm coming inside with you, I need to make sure my sweet, innocent, light gray bra, newfound friend gets inside safely." He laughs again.

The water dried so it no longer showed, but it was still funny to him. I walk on the stone walkway up to the two steps leading onto the patio.

Gabriel just behind me.

I unlock the door with my keys, and close the door when Gabriel's inside. "Dad, I'm home!" I call out.

My dad walks out from the kitchen, wearing shorts; a shirt; socks; and an apron. "How was scho- who's this?" He smiles.

"This is Gabriel." I say.

"Gabriel?"

"I'm your daughter's friend, Gabriel Matthews." Gabriel sticks out his hand and my dad shakes it.

"Friend? You live- I didn't know you had friends, Blake."

"Neither did I." I mumble.

Gabriel looks down at me, and smiles. My dad watches his actions. "Vincent is out with his friends. It's just us for dinner, and Gabriel?"

"Yes, sir?" Gabriel turns his head to my dad.

"You're welcome to stay for dinner." He grins, showing his teeth.

"We'll be in my room." I say, willing to get out of this conversation. I grab Gabriel's arm while I turn to walk up the staircase.

"This is your room? I thought it would be more girly." He looks around my bedroom. The white throwing him off of what my bedroom would look like.

"In the hour you've actually known me, you thought it would be girly?" I ask, giving a slight chuckle.

"I thought it would have more pink. Boy, was I wrong. Aren't you going to change?"

"Not in front of you."

He turns around, and places his hands over his eyes. "Happy?"

I laugh slightly. "No but that's fine."

I strip off my uniform, and get into black leggings with a black camisole. I look at him, and I realize he's kind of the opposite of me. "You can look now," I say and I'm out of my trance.

Gabriel turns around while I sit down on my bed. "I understand why you're not wearing white." He starts to laugh again.

"It's not funny!" I glare at him, but then I pause. "Oh my God, I was supposed to go see Mr. McCarthy after school." I groan, and lay back on my bed, covering my eyes with my hands.

"It was just a tiny mistake." Gabriel tries to comfort that I've made this mistake.

"I know it was."

His phone chimes and he looks at it. "My mom wants me home, I should go."

"It's fine."

"Sorry I couldn't stay. I knew you wanted to kiss me, I get it."

I sit up, and laugh. "I didn't want to kiss you. Don't you have a girlfriend?"

"No, why would you think that?" Gabriel looks confused. Did he not know that Stephanie said he was?

"Stephanie was saying that you two were dating, earlier today."

"I'm not!" He groans. "I've got to go."

"Bye, Gabriel." I smile.

"Bye, Blake. I left my number on your desk." Then he leaves, I hear the door open and close.

I guess he really did like me, I think. I tried not think of it the rest of the night until my dad brought it up at dinner.

My dad gave me a plate of rice as well a himself. He sat down across the table from me. "I never knew you had a friend."

I take a spoonful of rice. "Neither did I. He started talking to me today at the courtyard."

"Why don't you want friends, hon?"

"They just turn their backs on you in the end."

"Not all people are like that, Blake. One day you're going to be in need of them, just remember that. You used to bring friends here all the time when you were six-"

"That was eleven years ago." I have a spoonful of rice ready, and look at him with a stern face.

He sighs, putting his hand on his forehead. "Did you tell him?"

I drop my spoon, and it clatters against the bowl. "I didn't."