1

"What're you standing around for, we have to go now. We can't stay longer than we have to, they'll find us."

The village around us was decimated, screams coming from all directions. It's no wonder he was worried about being found.

"Sorry Waven, as you say."

I understood, of course.

I knew we couldn't afford to battle right now, not after the fight that had broken out right here, but that didnt stop my eyes from wandering to that hazardous little cabin at the edge of this little town. Didn't stop me from being angry with him for making us leave.

Why couldn't he allow us to stay, just this once. Just to send them off?

"Waven I beg a favor?" Even through the cacophony surrounding me I could hear the uptake in my breathing, the speeding of my pulse.

He smirked, "And just what might you want? You don't really ask for favors."

I sat there as he stroked my cheek, not daring to move. Not now that I wanted something from him.

"I want to bring her with us. Just the little one, the runt. She won't take up much room and I swear to feed her on my own pocket. Please."

"And why do you want her? Are you not satisfied with what you now have?" I could tell he was angry, if not from the steadying of his voice, then from the tightening of his hold.

"No it's not that I just-" I wasn't entirely sure what to say, there was just something about her.

"I don't think I could bare to see another innocent die, not today anyhow."

His gaze softened, as did his grip,

"Someday you will have to make peace with yourself. Monsters do not cry over death."

"Maybe I will, maybe someday I'll reach the point where people no longer matter to me, but not today."

At that he actually smiled, and that scared me more than I'd like to admit.

"We'll have to fix that attitude of yours." The manic look had returned to his eyes, and of course, we both knew exactly how he planned to fix my 'attitude'.