epilogue

"So," Cam says, readjusting his glasses and opening the Historian. "This was the most drawn-out book I have ever read."

I let my head rest on my arm and tip the laptop screen down to accommodate the FaceTime. "I really liked the beginning, especially the line... where was it... when she was talking about how the problems all travellers have is that they want to rediscover somewhere they've been before and it's never the same? It's so accurate and she put it so eloquently."

"But Barley..." he shakes his head. "He was barely in it! It was such a tease of a romance, a snippet here, a snippet there, oh look they're kissing then, like, nothing."

"Yeah, that was disappointing."

"But it was cool when her mom came back, was not expecting that."

"Overall rating?" I ask, and watch him crinkle up his nose and smile thoughtfully. He's wearing a wrinkled, white button-down open tantalizingly at the neck. I can't wait to visit him in a week, I don't think I've ever been so excited for spring break.

"Um... eight, I think."

"I'd give it a seven, actually."

"Wait, I thought you liked it?" He sits up, leaning into his webcam avidly.

"I did, but..."

"You're such a tough judge," he says smilingly. I love these calls. "What else did you like about it?"

"I just really liked her narrative, not the letters but the daughter's. It was really well put together but also... relatable?"

"Mm?"

"What I didn't like was how long the letters went on, though, I'll admit I only really skimmed Part II."

He grins, suddenly. "Oh, thank God, so did I."

"So, what did you do today?"

"Had class, finished a couple essays. Finn and I are going to a little coffee shop concert tonight."

"Do you know the band?"

"They're alternative and jazzy, I think, from Toronto."

"That should be nice. Sierra and I are going to Peggy's Cove with Ellis and some of his NSCAD friends."

"Oh, cool be sure to take some pictures it's so beautiful this time of year." He takes off his glasses to rub his eyes, it's nine-thirty and mine are burning with tiredness. Every move he makes is endearing.

"I miss you," I say, suddenly, because we'll have to disconnect soon.

"Ditto, Katherine." There's a starey sort of silence, then he says: "Spring break will be so fun, I've got all kinds of things planned."

"Relaxing things, I hope."

"Variety is the spice of life."

"I just threw up a bit in my mouth."

"Appetizing..."

We both sigh. "Good night, Katherine."

"Good night, Cam."

We disconnect there because it's easier that way. My phone lights up with a text: love you.

***

it's been like 2 months - i apologize. very much. i'm terrible. (don't tell me i'm not - i'm not fishing for compliments just commenting on my shitty updating schedule that doesn't even exist)

and this is probably a little lackluster, but....yeah i don't know.

i've been at uni for a little less than two months and my program is a lot more than i was expecting - not, like, better than i was expecting but just a lot more reading and whatever i don't know

i don't know how much writing i'll be doing, at least this semester and it sucks. i love writing, it's therapeutic and the best thing in the world but this semester i'm reading every day and cranking out a new essay every two weeks on one of the classics i read and it's a lot and i just don't feel like i can write creatively right now i feel so stifled so i guess this is a hiatus? it's just too much to be torn down over each essay and be told you can't even structure sentences while also trying to update regularly.

until reading week maybe? or christmas? or summer? indefinitely? i don't know it's 2am and i just got the urge to finish this thing so here i am