video chat / 18

Cam and I have never been a technological couple, in that (previously) we were just together, and when we weren't, we didn't text (excessively), let alone FaceTime.

I lie on my bed, hugging my pillow and waiting for him call. He's going to see me, and it makes me a little nervous.

I roll off and run my fingers through my hair. Dab on a little lip balm. Rub away the day's smudged mascara.

My phone starts ringing the unfamiliar FaceTime ring.

I sit back on the bed, take a deep breath then feel silly and slump on the pillows. I press Accept.

His face takes over the screen, and an uncontrollable smile takes over my face.

"Hi," he says. Then he smiles like he can't help it either.

"Hi," I reply.

"You look beautiful."

I roll my eyes and look at him. His hair is as messy as it used to be, and his eyes are all glinty and flashy and happy. "You are too."

"So, show me your room!"

I give him a room tour, we talk about fall weather and infinity scarves, his apparent need for reading glasses.

"I got a pair, but they look stupid." He says, bringing a hand to his hair and smiling with only one side of his mouth.

"Show me."

"Don't laugh."

"Even if I do...I love you so it's okay." He laughs, and reaches past his laptop.

The glasses are angular without frames, and thick black arms. He puts them on and pouts. "They look so bad."

"They're adorable." He looks academic and kind of hipster, since RayBans are pretty basic now.

"I don't know," he says but keeps them on, and props his chin on his fist. "So."

"So." He's wearing the silver man-ring his parents gave him at graduation, and it glints.

"What do you want for your birthday? I need to ship it soon."

"Ugh." I press my face into my bed, then come back up for air. "I don't want to talk about my birthday."

"Katherine..." I pout into the front-facing camera and he does this loud sigh. "Fine, fine. Wanna hear a Klose story?"

******

22 comments plz ;)

what's your tumblr if i like it i'll follow