Chapter 6- Who's the Devil Here?

"Stop pulling at it," the gaurd reprimanded. "It'll be set off."

Still, Cecily's small fingers danced around the collar that was chocking her. She tried to fit her finger between the weird leathery material and her skin, but even her fingers weren't that small. She could feel her neck bruising underneath.

"I can't breath," she replied. Short, quick, and too the point.

Another tug and a quick spark of electricity was sent down her spine. She jumped a bit before sending a glare at the foreign guard named Reiko.

"Yeah well, neither can the woman you killed. Unlike her, you'll survive."

She sent him a small glare, but moved her hand anyways.

They were rushing through the city of Royale, the hover car speeding over the ash fault roads of the old city. The palace was still a ten minute drive away, Cecily estimated.

The prince himself, was sitting besides his loyal gaurd. The hunter felt that maybe she should feel a little bit of awe, but didn't.

He was only a bit above average. Wavy black hair falling to his eyebrows. Plain brown eyes, watching her carefully and much too cheerfully. His face was a bit rounded, but not fat. A smirk played on his lips as he watched the hardened criminal and the sarcastically sassy guard battle it out in comments and glares.

He'd yet to say anything more than necessary to the strikingly beautiful murderer.

She was fine with that. She liked the silence that was slowly filling the car. It was comfortable. She placed her elbow on the door and considered falling asleep.

Until...Reiko opened his mouth again.

"How is it that you can fight so well?" He asked, voice purely filled with curiosity. No taunting in the question. "I read your file and there was nothing significant other than, you know, murdering you mother in cold blood. So how're you so good?"

She considered not answering. There really was no obligation to tell him. But she'd been by herself for so long that she missed small talk. No 'I may or may not kill you' business.

"Practice mostly. I hunted for food at home, so I'm well practiced with weapons."

"Yeah, but you're kickass in a fight. Sword on sword combat isn't something you get from fighting deer in the forests."

"Bears and wolves too. Mostly trial and error."

He didn't seem satisfied with the answer, but he left it at that, not badgering her any further.

"A little briefing," the prince finally said, "before we pick up our two other teammates. If that's okay with you."

She gave him a nod.

"The list this year has twenty three targets. My father made a lot of enemies in his time, mostly while completing the Free Man Act. That was over forty years ago, his first act, but people still resent him for it. Especially the nobles who had to release slaves.

"Now, as for our team, we have you, Rei, and me, as of now. I plan on picking up a medic and Saint by the name of Alma Reebank and an assassin from the Royal Keep named Orion Magnus. They're both excellent in their professions. I want you, both of you, to refrain from fighting as much as possible."

Zephyr sent a glare at the foreign guard who gave him a smirk.

"Gotcha'," Reiko replied. "No arguing."

"Or taunting or teasing or anything to upset anyone."

He rolled his eyes but agreed anyways.

The Prince's eyes slid to her. "I have a feeling that you already know what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it so we're perfectly clear. No killing anyone without my permission. No running off and do not leave one of our sides without permission."