Chapter 4- And There They Were

Zephyr stared at where Cecily was held in the chair by one of the chains that connected to her wrists.

He'd watched them drag her in with the choking leash that was used to catch stray dogs. And she didn't even look scared. In fact, he'd felt a chill go down his spine when her piercing black eyes set on him. Involuntarily, sweat was starting to pool at the back of his neck.

But she saw it, the twitch in his posture when she didn't let her gaze away from him. Her nostrils flared as she took in his scent and clothing. He saw it all. He knew she wanted him to see it all.

"Cecily, correct?" Zephyr had asked.

She gave a breath of an answer.

"Good. I'm sorry about the cruel treatment, truly I am. I didn't instruct them to do that."

His eyes stayed on the leash resting tightly on her throat. He couldn't decided if he'd be more comfortable with it off or on.

Instead of mentioning it, he continued. "My name's Zephyr Fa-Lin."

"The prince," she breathed.

He nodded. "I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the next succession games are coming up."

He saw the gears click in her head. He didn't suspect the succession games were often spoken of in the prison.

"My father, the king, has made many enemies during his reign and, as I'm sure you know, in order for me to become King I need to kill them off. When I reign, there aren't supposed to be any lingering enemies in the Royal court."

He rubbed his hands together, playing with his nails while trying to hold her gaze. But he was utterly terrified.

Seeing her profile was one thing, but the presence she brought was bone chilling. She didn't look like she wanted to kill him, not at all. There wasn't a hint of murder in her stunning obsidian eyes.

But he felt her gaze. He felt her eyes taking themselves over every inch of his body. She was learning him. He was sure she knew more about him than he himself did.

And Cecily was making a show of it. Making sure he knew that she saw him for what she was. A blue blooded noble, in her eyes. Prey.

This beautiful girl, stunningly gorgeous, was called the hunter. But Zephyr felt that she was the most beastly and animalistic human he'd ever met.

She stopped, finally meeting his gaze.

"What did you drag me in here for?" She replied, keeping her smooth voice still.

When he didn't reply immediately, her gaze turned to a glare.

"Right, of course." Zephyr cursed himself for admiring her surprisingly silky voice. "I want you on my team."

She raised an eyebrow, maybe the first human expression she'd given away.

"Me?"

He nodded, resting his head on his crossed fingers, waiting for a reply.

"And you've read my profile?"

"Eh, bits and pieces. You're here off recommendation of my friend." The Prince's head dipped, motioning in the direction of a soldier standing behind him and to the right.

The man jumped when she examined him.

Zephyr sighed, glad that her gaze was off him for a minute. That is, until it returned.