Chapter Seventeen

"C'mon Nathan, you knew what I was saying was completely right."

"No it wasn't Stephen. I can't even explain how pissed I am at you right now." Nathan grumbled.

"I just want to make sure your head is in the right place. You've waited so long to get revenge for everything Green has done to you, don't mess this up all because of some girl you've screwed couple of times. Why does it even matter if she took what I said the wrong way? Why should you care?"

"Because..." He hesitated for a moment, not quite sure whether to tell his friend the complete truth or not. "Because she's been hurt too many times before. I don't want to just be another asshole that makes an appearance in her life and screws things up completely for her."

"But your entire mission was to bring her back to D.C to the CIA. If you don't think that's screwing things up for her then I don't know what is-"

"I think- I think I'm having a change of mind." Nathan said hesitantly.

"About what exactly?" Stephen wasn't quite sure what Nathan meant by his words. He was confused and after getting no reply he inquired again. "What are you talking about Nathan?"

"I'm saying that maybe I won't bring her to D.C. Maybe she's better off somewhere else? I'm afraid of what they might do to her. Kim doesn't deserve whatever she has coming for her."

"I thought she was a conniving little rich kid who created software to hack the US Government's computers? That doesn't sound like she is undeserving of what's ahead of her to me."

"It's not like that. Things are a lot different than I had expected. My immediate thoughts about her are completely different to what she is actually like in person. She's different."

What Nathan was saying was the complete truth. Kim had turned out to be an entirely different person to what he had expected at first. He had accepted that now although it was difficult to take in at the beginning. Kim was not the bad person in this situation, she was foolish, but she was not evil. His interpretation had been twisted by his own negativity but he had figured out by then that she was more good than bad.

"I just hope you're making all of the right decisions here Nathan. I know you think I'm a dick for being this way but it's because I'm your friend and it's because I care about you. I don't think you've fully thought all of this through. Planning on running away with a girl you know next to nothing about and putting her before the revenge you've been seeking for twelve years is definitely not the right choice. But it's your own choice and I suppose I have to accept that. It just makes me wonder how special she really is. You have never been so affected by a woman like this before in a long time."

"I'm not exactly putting her before my revenge against Green. We're going to poison him, we're going to kill him and settle the score. I'm just not using Kim as a pawn in my plan. Anyways, I have to go. She's waiting for me back at the hotel." Stephen rolled his eyes in response but said nothing. "I'll see you later tonight for drinks."

"See you later man."

They said their goodbyes and soon enough Nathan was on his way back to the hotel. He went out for lunch with Stephen to talk about Friday night's event. He originally planned for Kim to go along too but she refused to leave their suite. She said she wasn't going somewhere with him to just sit there and be dismissed every time she opened her mouth.

Although Nathan knew it was a bad idea leaving her there, he could not drag her to go with him. But later that day, he had something planned for them that he thought she might enjoy. Since their argument the night before, Kim was deflated and unenthusiastic. She was confused and unsure whether to begin trusting Nathan again, she decided to just snap at him every time he spoke instead.