| 04. our trip to macau

"sometimes it's not the people who change, it's the mask that falls off."

*********

"I LOVE SEEING A FAMILY reunion!"

Walter clapped his hands in delight and sat in the couch facing everyone, slipping on his shoes.

The horsemen stood next to the elevator with guards surrounding each side. Maeve didn't move from where she was. Her feet were planted onto the spot.

She noticed that everyone looked different due to the long time they all had apart.

Danny shaved his head, which was ironic considering that he loved his hair. Merritt looked older in a way that actually showed his age. What confused Maeve was that Henley wasn't there; instead there was a different person whom she did not recognize.

Jack was the last person she laid eyes on. He looked taller and older with the small stubble lining the top of his lips. Jack still wore that leather jacket he loved even before the two met.

Jack was just as shocked, maybe even more.

He'd never expect to see Maeve again. All of those painful nights lying awake with the memories burned into his skull couldn't compare to what he was feeling now.

Of course Maeve looked like someone none of the horsemen would recognize. Her facial features matured over the year, making her look a lot older than she did. The brown hair flowed down her back in waves with a rich dark red color dying the ends.

Currently, a black solid and see-through bomber jacket hugged Maeve's upper body. She wore under it a dark red flowy tank top with black ripped skinny jeans. Her black booties awkwardly shuffled as Maeve stood there watching every single one of the Horsemen.

Anyone could have passed by Maeve and not recognize her, but she still wore the similar type of clothing. She still had that snarky attitude.

She was still Maeve.

"Maeve." Jack breathed out, cutting the silence that surrounded every one of them. The other horsemen beside him turned to look at his expression.

This was the first time in a while that Maeve stood there speechless. Her eyes locked with his as Jack tried to figure out what she was feeling at this moment.

Maeve's eyes showed no emotion whatsoever, but Jack knew her better than that. They all did, except for Lula.

Memories slowly clouded her mind, distracting her from hiding her emotions. Everything she felt began slowly slipping out through her eyes.

Jack watched as her eyes showed happiness to sadness, love to heartbreak. The lasts thing that he saw was the one that continued to linger in her features: anger.

It slowly bubbled inside of Maeve as she replayed everything in her head. She finally moved on and had a life away from the Eye, but it was all taken from her when Dylan figured out where she lived.

"Do the rest of you enjoy the special surprise?"

Maeve snapped her head in the direction of the employer. "Why the fuck did you bring me here." She stalked forward, eyes blazing with fury.